Great Danes Visit UMass Lowell In Regular Season Finale
Friday, May 3
Saturday, May 4
ALBANY, N.Y. — The University at Albany softball team (25-13, 12-2 AE) hits the road for its final regular season games of the year, visiting UMass Lowell for a three game series on Friday-Saturday, that will decide the 2019 America East regular season title.
Leading the Pack
- Katie Falotico is pacing the squad in batting average (.349), hits (44), RBI (41), runs scored (32), homeruns (4) and doubles (14).
- Sarah Petzold adds to the offense with a team-best .416 on base percentage and is hitting .339 on the year.
- Aliyah Wade (.268) leads the team with 17 stolen bases, while Mariah Miramontez (.262) is second with 16.
- In the circle, Celeste Verdolivo (2.43 ERA) owns a conference-best 17 wins and two saves.
- As a team, UAlbany is hitting .270 and slugging .372.
- The Great Danes are 10-1 on the road this season
Scouting UMass Lowell
- The River Hawks enter the weekend with a 25-17 overall record and a 13-2 record in America East action.
- Courtney Cashman is hitting a Division I-best .526 batting average and headlines the conference in slugging percentage (.915), on base percentage (.663) and doubles (14).
- In the circle, Lovina Capria and Kaysee Talcik lead the way with 14 and 10 wins, respectively. Lovina is posting a 2.39 ERA, while Talcik owns a 3.56 ERA.
- The River Hawks are perfect home this season, boasting a 7-0 clip.
Isn’t It Grand
Katie Falotico logged her first career grand slam to help the Great Danes to a 7-0 victory against Niagara (4.25).
Did You Know?
With just three strike outs in 111 at bats this season, Chelsea Henige is the 11th toughest person to strikeout in the nation.
Now Walk it Out (Off)
Sarah Petzold won it for the Great Danes, 5-3, when she roped a two-run, walk off homerun in the eighth inning to help the team take the series against rival Stony Brook on April 14.
Katie Falotico hit not one, but two homeruns in the same inning in a 13-5 victory at Binghamton on April 10.
The Great Danes put on an offensive show against Binghamton on April 10, setting season highs for runs (13), hits (17) and RBI (12).
Defending the Wall
The Great Danes rank first in the conference with a .967 fielding percentage. UAlbany leads the America East with 19 double plays
No-No for Jimenez
Maranda Jimenez pitched her way into the record books earlier this season when she tossed her first career no-hitter against Norfolk State on March 10. The Riverside, Calif. native, racked up six strikeouts on her way to becoming the 20th Great Dane pitcher, and first since 2014, to pitch a no-no.
Last year, the Great Danes swept both the America East regular season race and tournament championship. The double dip was the second for UAlbany and the 16th in the 34-year history of the conference.
- Maranda Jimenez earned America East Pitcher of the Week honors on March 12
- Katie Falotico was tabbed the America East Player of the Week on March 6.
- Taylor Light struck out a career-high three batter in a complete game shutout against Niagara (4.25).
- Celeste Verdolivo has fanned a season-high seven batters three times this season.
- Katie Falotico recorded a season-best four RBI at Binghamton (4.10).
- Chloe Lewis earned her first career win at Binghamton on April 10.
- Love Drumgole notched her first collegiate hit with a single versus George Mason on March 2.