Women's Soccer Opens at Oklahoma
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany women's soccer team kicks off the 2019 season with a trip to Big 12 opponent Oklahoma on Thursday. The Great Danes start the new season with four of five games on the road before a four-game home stand.
Thursday, August 22 at Oklahoma (8:00 p.m.)
Leading the Pack
- UAlbany won a program-record 14 games in 2018 and captured a third America East title in four years
- Redshirt-junior Meghan Cavanaugh is the top returning scorer, netting eight goals with five assists in 2018
- Twin sophomores Jasmine and Jada Colbert combined for 20 total points in 2018, with both earning spots on the America East All-Rookie team and Jada winning America East Rookie of the Year
- Senior Claire Stackel scored 11 points last season, tied with Jasmine Colbert for the second-leading returning scorer
- Junior goalkeeper Andrea Leitner made 22 starts in 2018, playing over 2,000 minutes while recording 14 victories and seven shutouts
- Oklahoma went 8-10-2 in 2018 and fell in the quarterfinal round of the Big 12 Tournament to West Virginia
- Oklahoma went 4-4-2 at home in 2018, but has won five of its last seven home openers
- Oklahoma returns All-Big 12 selection Kaylee Dao, who was also named 2019 Preseason All-Big 12
- Dao has led Oklahoma in scoring each of the last two seasons, scoring six goals with two assists last year
UAlbany was picked first in the America East preseason coaches' poll, collecting four first-place votes and 57 overall points. The top five teams, UAlbany, Hartford, Stony Brook, UMass Lowell, and New Hampshire, were separated by only 17 points.
UAlbany returns four players who earned All-Conference recognition in 2018. Meghan Cavanaugh was named First Team; Jada Colbert was named Rookie of the Year, Second Team, and All-Rookie; Gina Bracamonte was named Second Team; Jasmine Colbert was named All-Rookie. Additionally, Cavanaugh and both Colbert sisters were named to the America East All-Tournament team.
Joining the incoming freshman class of nine student-athletes is junior Kendra Harbinger. Harbinger is a member of the UAlbany women's lacrosse team, and will pull double-duty with women's soccer starting this season. Harbinger previously played soccer at Shenendehowa High School.
The 2019 season sees the America East schedule stretched out over an additional week, and the America East Tournament timeline condensed to include fewer days between the semifinals and finals. The move was made to give teams more control over their midweek games and allow for more rest in between games.
2018 marked the departure of program record-setters Mariah Williams and Caroline Kopp to graduation. Williams set single-season and career program records in both points and goals, while Kopp set single-season and career records in assists.
- UAlbany plays Oklahoma for the first time in program history
- UAlbany has won three of four season openers
UAlbany visits Northeastern on Sunday, August 25 at 1:00 p.m.