Women's Soccer Hosts UMass Lowell for America East Championship
ALBANY, N.Y. – For the third time in four years, the University at Albany women’s soccer program will play in the championship game of the America East Tournament. This year, they will face off against UMass Lowell at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.
The Riverhawks were one of two America East teams to beat the Great Danes during the regular season, notching a 2-1 victory in Lowell a month ago. Since then, UAlbany has gone 7-1-0, including recording shutouts in their last five games. UMass Lowell has gone 4-2-2 since playing UAlbany.
The Great Danes (13-6-2, 5-2-1 AE) defeated two-seed Hartford in the semifinal round of the America East Tournament by a final score of 1-0. It was the Danes’ second trip to Hartford this season, having previously lost to the Hawks 2-1 on October 11. It was the latest shutout for UAlbany, who has outscored its opponents 10- over their last five games.
The Riverhawks upset top-seed Stony Brook in their semifinal matchup, winning on the road 2-0. UMass Lowell similarly has not allowed a goal in the America East Tournament so far, having previously tied Vermont 0-0 in the quarterfinal round before advancing to the semifinals 4-3 on penalty kicks.
In the regular season meeting between UAlbany and UMass Lowell, the Riverhawks scored an early goal before winning the game 2-1. UAlbany outshot UMass Lowell 19-9 for the full game, including 14-2 in the second half. Riverhawk goalkeeper Julia Schneider made nine saves in the game.
Sunday’s championship game will feature four of the five major player awards from the 2018 regular season. UAlbany will field Striker of the Year Mariah Williams, Defender of the Year Caroline Kopp, and Rookie of the Year Jada Colbert. UMass Lowell will have the Midfielder of the Year, Rachel Morrier.
THE OUTLOOK: UMASS LOWELL (7-8-5, 5-3-1 America East) │ Sunday, November 4, 1:00 p.m. │ Albany, N.Y.
Last we met: L, 2-1, September 30, 2018, Lowell, Mass.
Tale of the Tape
- UAlbany is 7-1-1 at home this season
- UMass Lowell is 5-5-1 on the road
- Against common opponents, UAlbany is 7-2-1; UMass Lowell is 4-3-3
- UAlbany ranks second in the America East in scoring offense (2.05 gpg); UMass Lowell ranks fifth (1.62 gpg)
- UAlbany ranks fourth in scoring defense (1.24 gpg); UMass Lowell ranks eighth (1.62 gpg)
- Mariah Williams leads in goals (17) and points (36), and ranks tied for third and fifth outright in the NCAA in each respective category
- Caroline Kopp leads in assists (12), and is tied for third in the NCAA
- Andrea Leitner ranks second in goals against (1.15) and shutouts (6)
Series History: UMass Lowell leads 3-2-1
2017 Record: 5-6-6, (2-3-3 AE); eighth place America East
Top Offensive Player: Rachel Morrier, Gr., M/F, (10g, 6a)
Between the Posts: Julia Schneider, Sr., (7-7-3, .766 Sv%, 1.49 GAA)