Great Danes Slip at Marist, 76-52
Score: Marist 76, UAlbany 52
Location: McCann Arena – Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (1-2) | Marist (2-0)
Short story: Despite a game-high 17 points from senior Alexi Schecter, the University at Albany women’s basketball fell at Marist, 76-52, in its first road contest of the season Wednesday evening.
- Senior Alexi Schecter produced a game-high 17 points, marking the forward's third consecutive game with double-digit points.
- Redshirt-senior Amanda Kantzy finished the night with nine points and nine rebounds, falling just short of a double-double.
- Freshman Helene Haegerstrand scored six points and matched a personal best in rebounds with four.
- Freshman Izzy Om scored her first collegiate points with a basket in the fourth quarter. She went 2-5 from the field and brought down one rebound.
- UAlbany outrebounded Marist, 34-29.
- Marist shot 64.7 percent from the floor and held UAlbany to 37.7 percent shooting.
The Great Danes got 17 points from senior Alexi Schecter and nine from redshirt-senior Amanda Kantzy but the UAlbany women’s basketball team was defeated by in-state foe Marist, 76-52, Wednesday evening.
Schecter, who’s 17 points were a game high, has now recorded double-digits in three straight games. So far this season, the Lowell, Mass. native is pacing the squad with 19.3 points per game.
The two teams traded baskets to begin the game as Marist held a slight,11-6, lead entering the first media timeout. The home team went on to outscore UAlbany 13-3 in the final five minutes of the quarter as Marist carried a 24-9 advantage after 10 minutes of action.
The Red Foxes began the second quarter with three straight jump shots, increasing their lead to as many as 21 points. A floater by Morgan Haney would break up a Marist 10-0 scoring run but two late three pointers by Sarah Barcello and Hannah Hand would give the Red Foxes a 42-24 lead at the half.
Marist shot 62.1 percent (18-29) from the field in the first half and recorded 18 of their 42 first half points from inside the paint. Amanda Kantzy brought down five offensive rebounds and scored all nine of her points in the first half.
Using a balanced scoring attack, UAlbany outscored Marist in the third quarter. Helene Haegerstrand scored four of her six points in the third, as the Great Danes shot 31.3 percent from the floor.
UAlbany’s Izzy Om would make her presence known in the fourth quarter, draining back-to-back jumpers for her first collegiate points. Om went 2-5 with one rebound in a personal-best eight minutes played.
The Great Danes ended the game on a 6-0 run but the Marist defense held strong and was able to secure the win.
Up next: The Great Danes continue on the road with a weekend matchup at in-state rival Syracuse on Saturday evening. Tip-off is slated for 1 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.