Women's Basketball Visits Stony Brook
ALBANY, N.Y. – After knocking off the preseason America East favorite to clinch their first conference win of the season, the University at Albany women’s basketball team will hit the road for one game to visit Stony Brook on Wednesday.
The Great Danes (12-3, 1-1 AE) dropped their America East opener on the road at Hartford last week, falling to the Hawks 70-55 after trailing by as many as 26. UAlbany was able to bring the game within 10 points, but came no closer as Hartford pulled away again.
Playing at home for the first time in 2018, the Great Danes welcomed New Hampshire to SEFCU Arena, the site of the Wildcats’ lone conference loss a year ago. The defending regular-season champions kept the game close through the first half, before UAlbany came out firing in the second half to the tune of an 8-0 run that put the Danes up nine. New Hampshire inched back, coming within three by the end of the third quarter, but UAlbany rebuilt their lead to 10 with five minutes remaining, 11 with 2:30 remaining, and 12 with 1:10 remaining.
Stony Brook has lost two straight games to open conference play, most recently against Hartford by a score of 75-68. In their first game, the Seawolves lost at Maine 64-56. Stony Brook opened the season 5-0 before losing their next four straight.
Despite holding the best overall record in the America East, the Great Danes currently sit in fourth place behind Hartford and Vermont, each of which has won their first two conference games, and Binghamton who has won the only America East game on their schedule so far. UAlbany shares a 1-1 record with New Hampshire and Maine.
Following the game against Stony Brook, UAlbany will return to SEFCU Arena for two straight, starting on January 13 in the first of two regular season rematches with 2017 America East title game opponent Maine, and then January 15 against Binghamton.
THE OUTLOOK: STONY BROOK (8-7, 0-2 AE) │ Wednesday, January 10, 7:00 p.m. │ Stony Brook, N.Y.
Last we met: W, 75-57, February 4, 2017, Stony Brook, N.Y.
Tale of the Tape:
- Stony Brook is 5-2 at home this season
- UAlbany is 5-2 on the road
- Stony Brook defeated Manhattan 74-59; UAlbany defeated Manhattan 62-56
- Stony Brook defeated Wagner 69-50; UAlbany defeated Wagner 89-44
- Stony Brook defeated Central Connecticut State 65-50; UAlbany defeated CCSU 72-60
- Stony Brook lost to Hartford 75-68; UAlbany lost to Hartford 70-55
- Mackenzie Trpcic leads the America East in assists (5.8 apg)
- UAlbany has won four straight against Stony Brook
KEYBANK KEYS TO VICTORY (#KEYBANKKEYS):
- First Half: UAlbany is 11-0 when leading at halftime
- Share the Wealth: UAlbany is 11-1 when Mackenzie Trpcic has five or more assists
- Protect the Rim: UAlbany is 4-0 when Heather Forster has two or more blocks
Series History: UAlbany leads 33-23
2016-17 Record: 12-18, (5-11 AE); eighth place America East; AE quarterfinalist
Top Offensive Player: Shania Johnson, Jr., G, (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.9 apg)