UAlbany Volleyball Crushes Hartford 3-0 to Secure AE Tournament Hosting Rights
Volleyball Score: UAlbany 3, Hartford 0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-11)
Location: Albany, N.Y. – University Gym
Records: UAlbany (10-13, 10-1 AE), Hartford (5-19, 2-8 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany volleyball team secured its 10th America East regular season title and hosting rights to the league tournament with a three-set victory over Hartford on Sunday afternoon.
- UAlbany: Akuabata Okenwa hit .360 with a team-high 10 kills, adding seven digs and three blocks. Taylor Robinson and Chloe Evering each had seven kills and two blocks while Kelly Cameron tallied 29 assists, five kills, six digs and two blocks.
- Hartford: Jenna Bridges led the team with eight kills while Paulina Modestow finished with six kills, 11 digs and two aces.
- UAlbany hit .308 in the match, hitting at least .250 in all three sets while holding Hartford to a .008 hitting percentage.
- UAlbany secures the America East regular season title outright. It is the team’s first outright regular season title since 2012, winning a share of the title in 2015.
- The America East Tournament title will be held at the University Gym. Semifinals will be at 4 and 7 p.m. on November 17th, with the final occurring on the 18th.
- 1st set: An early 6-0 UAlbany run, with kills from four different players, set the early tone. UAlbany used another 3-0 run, started by two Taylor Robinson kills, to lead to a 25-16 set victory.
- 2nd set: Serving from Danielle Tedesco and Kelly Cameron led to UAlbany earning a 13-5 advantage to begin. Later runs off serving from Nina Holmes and Akuabata Okenwa led to UAlbany winning the set 25-16.
- 3rd set: UAlbany hit .351 in the set and allowed back-to-back points to Hartford only once. Eight different Great Danes earned points as UAlbany won 25-11.
Quotes: “I’m really proud of the progress we have made over the course of the season. We’ve been able to continually get better every week, and that is kudos to my staff and the leadership on the team. Every day, they are working on getting better, but there are things we want to improve before we are satisfied with this season.” – UAlbany head coach MJ Engstrom
Recap: The UAlbany volleyball team will host the 2017 America East Tournament, earning that right and its 10th regular season title with a three-set victory over Hartford for its ninth straight win.
In set one, consecutive kills from Chloe Evering, Danielle Tedesco, Akuabata Okenwa and Kelly Cameron led to UAlbany to a 6-1 lead, later being at 9-2 after two more kills and a Tedesco ace. Paulina Modestow served Hartford back to 9-6, including two aces. Taylor Robinson buried two kills to help rebuild the UAlbany lead to 12-6. UAlbany kept a strong lead the rest of the set, using three more Okenwa kills to lead to a 25-16 game victory.
An Evering solo block and kill sent UAlbany to an early 4-1 lead in set two. At 6-4, UAlbany won seven of the next eight points, including two Tatiana Tiangco kills, to surge ahead 13-5. Hartford had a streak of four straight to pull within six at 18-12, then UAlbany countered with four in a row to essentially seal the set. UAlbany won the game 25-16 to go up 2-0 in the match.
UAlbany got off to a dominant start in set three, with kills from five different players leading to an 11-2 beginning, adding two Evering kills to make it 14-3. UAlbany gave up back-to-back points just once, sealing the set with a late 3-0 run off Okenwa’s serving. UAlbany took the set 25-11 to win the match.
UAlbany will finish the America East regular season on Friday, November 10th at Stony Brook at 7 p.m.