Engstrom Earns 100th Victory vs. America East in UAlbany Volleyball 3-1 Win at SBU
Volleyball Score: UAlbany 3, Stony Brook 1 (25-23, 25-21, 23-25, 25-16)
Location: Stony Brook, N.Y. – Pritchard Gymnasium
Records: UAlbany (11-13, 11-1 AE), Stony Brook (16-10, 6-4 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany volleyball team earned its 10th consecutive victory with a four-set win at Stony Brook on Friday night, finishing conference play at 11-1.
- UAlbany: Akuabata Okenwa hit .406 in the match for a double double with 15 kills and 21 digs, adding five blocks. Nicole Otero notched 30 digs and six assists while Tatiana Tiangco finished with 14 kills.
- Stony Brook: Emily Costello hit .326 with 14 kills and 21 digs, while Jordan Gels had eight kills, two aces and four digs.
- UAlbany hit .255 as a team with 67 kills and 10 team blocks.
- MJ Engstrom earned her 100th victory as a head coach against America East competition, standing 100-20 overall (83.3% win percentage) in 10 seasons.
- 11-1 in conference play matches the team’s best finish since 2009.
- 1st set: UAlbany had a pair of 3-0 runs in this game, proving to be enough. Late kills from Chloe Evering and Tatiana Tiangco helped UAlbany win the game 25-23.
- 2nd set: With UAlbany down 20-18, Danielle Tedesco notched a kill to head back to serve. Five SBU attack errors, including two blocked by Taylor Robinson, led to UAlbany roaring back and taking the set 25-21.
- 3rd set: Another competitive set led to SBU winning 25-23 with a pair of late blocks.
- 4th set: UAlbany hit .417 in the final set with 17 kills and just two attack errors, leading to a 25-16 game win.
Quotes: “Stony Brook did a great job making us work for every point; people stepped up when they needed to at the end of every set. Once we started serving aggressively, it helped us set the block up in the right place and neutralize their attackers. It’s great to be coming home with a win over a very formidable opponent.” – UAlbany head coach MJ Engstrom
Recap: The UAlbany volleyball team picked up its 10th victory in a row with a four-set victory at Stony Brook on Friday night to wrap up America East play at 11-1.
The first set saw both sides swinging strongly; UAlbany took the lead with a 3-0 run, including kills from Taylor Robinson and Kelly Cameron, to go up 6-4. The sides kept exchanging kills when two Tatiana Tiangco kills in a 3-0 run made it 16-13 UAlbany. Stony Brook stayed close, but UAlbany stayed ahead the rest of the way, winning off an SBU attack error to take the game 25-23.
Set two started out very similarly, with UAlbany earning kills to counter SBU’s points off blocks. At 12-12, SBU got four straight, including two Maria Poole aces, to go up 16-12. After an exchange, Cameron served UAlbany back to a tie at 17-17. SBU retook a two-point lead at 20-18. Danielle Tedesco buried a kill to go back to serve, leading to a 6-0 run, including Robinson blocking three SBU attacks. UAlbany won the game 25-21 to lead 2-0 in the match.
A pair of 4-0 runs gave SBU a 12-8 advantage in set three. Using a pair of Tedesco kills, UAlbany battled back with a pair of 3-0 runs to pull within one at 15-14. Kills from Akuabata Okenwa helped UAlbany stay within striking distance as UAlbany tied the set at 20-20. Two kills and blocks from Kendra Harlow helped SBU take the set 25-23 and force a fourth game.
Three kills from different players off Gabrielle Hansen’s serving made it 7-4 UAlbany in the fourth set. At 9-8, UAlbany tallied four straight points, two kills and a block from Okenwa and a Nina Holmes service ace, to go up 13-8. Okenwa served her way through a 4-0 run, with Robinson burying two kills, to essentially seal the set. UAlbany won 25-16 to take the match in four.
UAlbany will now prepare for the 2017 America East Tournament, taking on the 4-seed at 7 p.m. on Friday, November 17th at the University Gym.