UPDATE: Baseball at UMBC Rescheduled
UPDATE: Inclement weather in Baltimore has forced a change to the schedule for the three-game series against UMBC. The single game scheduled for Saturday afternoon has been cancelled. Sunday's doubleheader will go ahead as originally scheduled. The original story follows.
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany baseball team will wrap up its 2018 regular season with a three-game series at defending America East champion UMBC. The Great Danes need to win at least one game this weekend to clinch a spot in the America East Tournament.
UAlbany most recently was swept at home by Maine, falling to 0-6 against the Black Bears on the season. The Great Danes had a mid-week game at Sacred Heart cancelled due to inclement weather.
UMBC took two of three games from Binghamton last weekend, and in doing so kept UAlbany’s postseason hopes alive. The Retrievers last played at Georgetown to conclude a five-game road trip, falling to the Hoyas 11-6. UMBC will host its 2018 Senior Day ceremony with the single game on Saturday.
UAlbany is currently in sole possession of sixth place in the America East, two games ahead of Binghamton while holding a two-games-to-one tiebreaker over the Bearcats. UMBC is currently in a four-way tie with UMass Lowell, Stony Brook, and Maine for second place with a conference record of 11-10. The top two seeds in the tournament receive a first-round bye.
This weekend’s series has already been moved due to expected inclement weather in Baltimore all week. Originally scheduled for a doubleheader on Friday with the series finale on Saturday, there will now be one game late Saturday afternoon followed by a doubleheader on Sunday.
The America East Tournament will be held at Mahaney Diamond in Orono, Maine starting Wednesday, May 23.
THE OUTLOOK: UMBC (21-26, 11-10 AE) | May 18-19 | Baltimore, Md.
Game Schedule: May 19, 5:00 p.m. | May 20, 12:00 p.m. | May 20, 3:00 p.m.
Tale of the Tape
- UMBC is 14-5 at home this season
- UAlbany is 11-13 on the road
- UAlbany and UMBC are the only America East teams who have not played one another this season
- UMBC and UAlbany went 0-1 against St. John’s
- UMBC went 0-2 against Hofstra; UAlbany went 2-1
- UMBC went 2-4 against Hartford; UAlbany went 1-2
- UMBC went 4-2 against Binghamton; UAlbany went 2-1
- UMBC went 2-0 against Fairleigh Dickinson; UAlbany went 1-0
- UMBC went 0-3 against UMass Lowell; UAlbany went 2-4
- UMBC went 2-1 against Stony Brook; UAlbany went 3-0
- UMBC went 3-0 against Maine; UAlbany went 0-6
- UAlbany went 2-5 against UMBC last season
- Dominic Savino leads the America East in wins (7)
2017 season: 23-25, (11-9 AE); second place America East, America East champion, NCAA regional
Top Offensive Player: Zack Bright, Sr., C, (.310/.343/.481, 11 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 29 RBIs)
Top Pitcher: Chase Bailey, Gr., RHP, (2-4, 5.22 ERA, 50.0 IP, 47 K, 20 BB)