Baseball Hosts Stony Brook
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany baseball team will welcome America East rival Stony Brook to Varsity Field for three games this weekend starting on Friday. The Great Danes will seek their first conference series victory of the season.
The series against Stony Brook was originally scheduled for a doubleheader on Saturday followed by a single game on Sunday, but expected inclement weather has altered the schedule to play one game Friday and a doubleheader Saturday instead.
UAlbany (11-15, 2-7 AE) most recently snapped a three-game winning streak in the second of two back-to-back midweek games. After losing at St. John’s on Tuesday, the Great Danes returned to Varsity Field to host Manhattan on Wednesday, defeating the Jaspers in a hard-fought, 3-2 victory. So far in the America East this season UAlbany has gone 1-2 against UMass Lowell and Hartford and 0-3 against Maine.
Stony Brook hosted mid-week games against Iona and Central Connecticut State, winning against the Gaels 5-2 and against the Blue Devils 5-0. The Seawolves have won three straight dating back to their series finale at Maine last weekend.
UAlbany currently sits seventh in the America East standings, one game behind sixth-place UMass Lowell for the final spot in the America East tournament in May. Stony Brook leads the America East with a 6-3 conference record, tied in percentage points with UMBC, which has played one fewer series to this point. A three-way tie for third exists between Hartford, Maine, and Binghamton, each of which are 5-4 in-conference.
Following the series against Stony Brook, UAlbany will play its next four on the road, starting with a mid-week game at Fairleigh Dickinson next Tuesday and ending with a three-game series at Binghamton next weekend.
THE OUTLOOK: STONY BROOK (19-12, 6-3 America East) | April 12-13, 2018 | Albany, N.Y.
Game Schedule: April 13, 3:00 p.m. | April 14, 12:00 p.m. | April 14, 3:00 p.m.
Tale of the Tape
- Stony Brook is 6-5 on the road this season
- UAlbany is 2-3 at home
- Stony Brook went 1-1 against Manhattan; UAlbany went 1-0
- Stony Brook went 1-0 against LIU Brooklyn; UAlbany went 0-1
- Stony Brook went 2-1 against UMass Lowell; UAlbany went 1-2
- Stony Brook went 2-1 against Maine; UAlbany went 0-3
- UAlbany went 3-2 against Stony Brook last season
- Stony Brook leads the America East in batting (.265) and pitching (4.90 ERA)
- Stony Brook’s Nick Grande leads the America East in hits (43), runs scored (35), and stolen bases (19)
- Patrick Lagravinese leads the America East in walks (21)
- Dominic Savino and Stony Brook’s Brian Hermann lead in wins (4)
- Stony Brook’s Aaron Pinto leads in saves (8)
2017 Record: 26-26, (12-10 AE); third place America East
Top Offensive Player: Nick Grande, So., INF, (.391/.457/.609, 15 2B, 3 HR, 17 RBIs)
Top Pitcher: Bret Clarke, Jr., RHP, (2-3, 3.26 ERA, 38.2 IP, 31 K, 17 BB)