Baseball Closes Regular Season At Maine
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany baseball team (23-23, 8-12 AE) will close out the 2016-17 regular season this weekend with one final America East series. Starting on Friday, the Great Danes will three games at Maine.
UAlbany is on a three game winning streak, and has won eight of the last nine games. Their only loss was an extra-innings affair at Hartford which ended a season-high five game winning streak, but the Great Danes righted the ship immediately, starting a new winning streak that has lasted three games to date.
UAlbany most recently hosted Sacred Heart in the final home game of the regular season. The Great Danes jumped out to a 9-1 lead but saw the Pioneers chip away until a nine-run seventh inning put UAlbany in a four-run hole. The team tied the game in the bottom of the seventh, setting up Eric Mueller to hit a go-ahead home run in the bottom of the eighth. It was Mueller's first collegiate home run, and it came in his final game at Varsity Field.
Maine last played on the road at Boston College, falling to the Eagles by a score of 9-8. Last weekend, Maine swept UMass Lowell over three close games, 7-5, 5-4, and 8-4. The last time the UAlbany played Maine was in last year's America East tournament, where the Great Danes eliminated the Black Bears 9-8 on the second day of the tournament.
Maine and UAlbany currently rank sixth and seventh in the America East standings, but their records are only separated by 12 percentage points. With one more victory, UAlbany will match both its overall and conference win total from last season.
Following the conclusion of this weekend's series, the team will turn all of its attention to the America East tournament, which begins on Wednesday, May 24 in Lowell, Mass.
THE OUTLOOK: MAINE (20-25, 7-10 AE) | MAY 19-20 | ORONO, Maine
Game Schedule: May 19, 1:00 p.m.; May 19, 4:00 p.m.; May 20, 1:00 p.m.
Tale of the Tape:
- UAlbany is 10-13 on the road this season
- Maine is 13-3 at home
- Maine went 0-3 against Winthrop; UAlbany went 1-1
- Maine went 0-3 at St. John's; UAlbany lost 9-3
- Maine went 4-2 against UMass Lowell; UAlbany went 1-2
- Maine went 2-1 against Hartford; UAlbany went 2-1
- Maine went 3-1 against Manhattan; UAlbany went 2-0
- Maine went 0-3 at Binghamton; UAlbany went 0-3
- Maine went 0-3 at Stony Brook; UAlbany went 3-2
- Maine went 1-1 against UMBC; UAlbany went 2-4
- UAlbany went 3-1 against Maine last year
- UAlbany has won three straight and 11 of their last 15
- Maine has won four of six
- Maine ranks third in the America East in team fielding (.973)
- Maine's Christopher Bec leads the America East in batting (.359)
- Dominic Savino ranks fourth in the America East in ERA (2.91)
- Jack McClure ranks fifth in the America East in ERA (3.06)
- Travis Collins ranks second in the America East in home runs (10)
2016 Record: 20-35, (8-15 AE); Sixth place America East
Top Offensive Player: Christopher Bec, Jr., C, (.359/.438/.491, 17 2B, 3B, HR, 23 RBIs, 13 SB)
Top Pitcher: Justin Courtney, Jr., RHP, (4-4, 4.35 ERA, 68.1 IP, 56 K, 26 BB)