Men's Soccer Visits UMass Lowell for Quarterfinal
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany men’s soccer team will visit UMass Lowell for the America East quarterfinal round. It is the Great Danes’ third straight trip to Lowell in the series dating back to the 2017 America East title game.
UAlbany (8-9-0, 3-4-0 AE), six-seed in the 2018 America East Tournament, has won its last three straight games to close the 2018 regular season, securing the six seed in the America East Tournament. In all three games, against then #22 Cornell, UMBC, and Binghamton, the Great Danes won by shutout.
In their latest game, against Binghamton, UAlbany won 3-0, defeating the Bearcats for the third straight game and the sixth time in their last seven. UAlbany got on the board early when redshirt-sophomore Shane Devine ripped a shot into the back of the net from 18 yards out in the 17th minute. The Danes added two goals in the second half to secure their spot in the America East title game and eliminating the Bearcats from contention.
UMass Lowell last hosted Hartford, defeating the Hawks 1-0. The Riverhawks secured the three-seed in the tournament with the victory by virtue of holding the head-to-head tiebreaker over 2017 regular season champion Vermont. The Catamounts entered the final day of the regular season in second place but dropped to fourth after losing at home to New Hampshire, who jumped into second and earned a quarterfinal bye.
The last game between the Great Danes and the Riverhawks was the first time UMass Lowell scored more than one goal. Four of the previous five games in the series had been decided by one goal. The teams have split their last two games at UMass Lowell’s home field, with the UAlbany winning in the 2017 America East title game 1-0 in double-overtime, and UMass Lowell claiming a 2-0 victory on October 20 of this season.
The other quarterfinal match, featuring four-seed Vermont hosting five-seed UMBC, will be played Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
THE OUTLOOK: UMASS LOWELL (9-5-2, 4-3-0 America East) │ Saturday, November 3, 4:00 p.m. │ Lowell, Mass.
Last we met: L, 2-0, October 20, 2018, Lowell, Mass.
Tale of the Tape
- UAlbany is 3-7-0 on the road this season
- UMass Lowell is 7-1-0 at home
- UAlbany has won five of six after a five-game losing streak
- UMass Lowell has won three of four following a three-game losing streak
- Against common opponents, UAlbany is 4-4-0 and UMass Lowell is 4-3-1
- UAlbany ranks third in the America East in scoring offense (1.59 gpg); UMass Lowell ranks sixth (1.19 gpg)
- UMass Lowell ranks second in scoring defense (0.88 gpg); UAlbany ranks sixth (1.29 gpg)
- Nico Solabarrieta leads in points (25) and shares the lead in goals (10)
- Daniel Krutzen leads in assists (9) and ranks eighth nationally
- UMass Lowell’s Zach Rowell leads in goals against average (0.37) and shutouts (6) and shares the lead in save percentage (.846)
Series History: UAlbany leads 4-3-0
2017 Record: 10-7-1, (5-2-0 AE); second place AE, AE finalist
Top Offensive Player: Stanley Alves, R-Jr., F, (5g, 2a)
Between the Posts: Zach Rowell, Sr., (8-1-2, .846 Sv%, 0.37 GAA)