McGarr's Last-Second Goal in Regulation Not Enough for Men’s Soccer in America East Semifinal




BALTIMORE, MD. – Junior co-captain Dominic McGarr scored with 21 seconds remaining in regulation to send the America East semfinal game against No. 6 UMBC into overtime; but his last-second heroics came up short as the Great Danes fell 2-1 to the Retrievers in double overtime.

McGarr followed up on a shot by Luke Palmateer as time was winding down in the second period. Palmateer fired on a shot low into the Retriever defense on a corner kick scramble. McGarr tracked down the rebound and found the back right corner of the net. The goal propelled UAlbany into the overtime period.

A high kick by the Great Dane defense led to an indirect free kick for the Retrievers in the 18-yard box in the second overtime period. After the initial shot on goal was blocked by UAlbany, Kadeem Dacres collected the rebound and fired a shot past Mike Pizzuti near post for the game-winner.

The Great Danes started the game on their heels, going down 3-0 in shots early to the No. 6 Retrievers. Anthony Rozzano set up one of UAlbany’s best chances of the first half in the 17th minute. The All-America East Second Team selection came down the right side, and managed to make a pass through the UMBC defense at the six-yard box. Though Jonathan Interiano missed the initial attempt, McGarr was far post for the deflection, but couldn’t finish.

Two minutes later, Pomare Te Anau weaved through traffic down the middle of the field. The junior midfielder fired a shot from the top of the 18-yard box that hit the post.

The teams went back and forth for the remainder of the first half. Pizzuti came off his line several times at the end of the half to intercept UMBC service attempts.

The teams entered halftime deadlocked at 0-0.

In the 59th minute, Malcolm Harris was on the receiving end of a cross to give the Retrievers a 1-0 lead.

With the Retrievers continuing to pound on the UAlbany goal, the Great Danes made several key defensive plays to keep the score within reach. Palmateer slid across the six-yard box with 18 minutes left to prevent UMBC from scoring again at point-blank range.

Andres Sandoval threw himself in front of a UMBC player coming down the goal line on the right side minutes later.

With nine minutes remaining in regulation, Pizzuti made a huge save on a tough UMBC shot, but couldn’t collect the ball. The freshman forced the Retrievers to shoot the rebound wide left.

UAlbany charged back down the field with under five minutes to go. In the 87th minute, Interiano received a great pass on the right side and found the back of the net from Leonardo Rodrigues, but the goal was called back on an offsides call.

The Great Danes pushed everyone forward after earning a corner kick with 30 seconds left. Philip Persson took the kick, resulting in a scramble and McGarr’s goal.

With the score tied 1-1, the teams entered the first 10-minute overtime period.

The Purple & Gold had its best look in the second overtime when Interiano found Rozzano at the 18-yard box. Rozzano was called offsides. UMBC scored two and a half minutes later.

The Great Danes finish the 2013 season with a record of 6-11-4.



UAlbany Men's Soccer Advances to America East Semifinals in PKs
November 04, 2017 Soccer - M
UAlbany Men's Soccer Advances to America East Semifinals in PKs
UAlbany Men's Soccer Blanks Hartwick, 2-0
October 24, 2017 Soccer - M
UAlbany Men's Soccer Blanks Hartwick, 2-0