Women's Basketball Opens America East Tournament Against Vermont
ALBANY, N.Y. – The 2017-18 regular season has come to a close and the University at Albany women’s basketball team will enter the America East Tournament as the two-seed for the second consecutive season. They will play seven-seed Vermont in the quarterfinals on Saturday afternoon.
The Great Danes finished the regular season with a 23-6 record, an improvement of five games from their record last year. In the America East, UAlbany matched its 12-4 record from a year ago. As a team, UAlbany led the America East in scoring offense (69.3 ppg), offensive rebounding (14.9 orpg) and assists (15.2 apg). Mackenzie Trpcic led the league in assists (6.8 apg), holding each of the top three single-game assists totals for the season.
In their last game, UAlbany visited Maine with the top seed in the tournament on the line. UAlbany had beaten Maine in three straight games, including the 2016-17 America East championship. After building a 16-point lead late in the third, UAlbany saw the Black Bears mount a furious comeback to force overtime and ultimately win by five in extra time. The home team has won the last eight games between UAlbany and Maine.
Vermont has lost its last five games since defeating UAlbany in Burlington on February 8. The win snapped UAlbany’s 18-game winning streak against the Catamounts. In the five games since, Vermont has lost each by an average of 16.0 points.
In two meetings this season, UAlbany and Vermont split the series with each team winning on its home court. On UAlbany’s schedule, the two games against Vermont had fewer days in between than any of the Great Danes multiple-time opponents.
The winner of Saturday’s game will face the winner of #3 Binghamton and #6 Hartford on Sunday in the semifinals.
The America East Tournament quarterfinals and semifinals will be played on consecutive days this Saturday and Sunday. It is the second straight year the first two rounds will be played at the Cross Insurance Center in Portland, Maine. The title game will be hosted by the highest remaining seed on Friday, March 9.
THE OUTLOOK: #7 VERMONT (8-21, 5-11 AE) │ Saturday, March 3, 6:00 p.m. │ Portland, Maine.
Last we met: L, 57-62, February, 8, 2018, Burlington, Vt.
Tale of the Tape:
- Vermont is 2-11 away from home this season, and has not yet played a neutral site game
- UAlbany is 11-5 away from SEFCU Arena this season and 2-0 in neutral site games
- Against common opponents, UAlbany is 14-3 and Vermont is 5-12
- UAlbany has won a conference record 17 consecutive America East tournament games
- UAlbany defeated Vermont 65-45 in last year’s quarterfinals
- UAlbany has played Vermont in each of the last three quarterfinals, winning by an average of 34.0 points
- UAlbany has lost three of its last four games away from SEFCU Arena
KEYBANK KEYS TO VICTORY (#KEYBANKKEYS):
- Weekend Warriors: UAlbany is 11-2 in weekend games
- Halftime: UAlbany is 17-1 when leading at halftime
- Course Correction: UAlbany is 5-0 following a loss
Series History: UAlbany leads 21-18
2016-17 Record: 9-20, (6-10 AE); seventh place America East, AE quarterfinalist
Top Offensive Player: Hanna Crymble, So., F, (17.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.2 apg)