Women's Basketball Visits Hartford
ALBANY, N.Y. – Following a perfect 7-0 December, the University at Albany women’s basketball team rides their 11-2 non-conference record into 2018 and the start of America East play. The Great Danes will open their conference schedule against Hartford on Wednesday.
UAlbany won its seventh straight game last week, defeating Dartmouth 76-61 at SEFCU Arena in the team’s final non-conference game of the regular season and final game of 2017. Senior Jessica Féquière scored a game-high 22 points, recording her fourth straight game with 20 or more points scored. With the victory over Dartmouth, UAlbany now has a record of 3-1 against non-conference opponents who defeated them last season.
Hartford last played two games as part of the Fordham Holiday Classic. First, the Hawks lost to Fordham 69-44, but bounced back the next day to defeat Yale 78-70. Hartford’s non-conference schedule featured teams like Villanova, Syracuse, and North Carolina.
UAlbany begins conference play in first place in the standings. Two teams, Binghamton and preseason conference favorite New Hampshire, are tied for second with non-conference records of 9-4, two games behind UAlbany. Hartford is tied for fourth at 8-5 with Stony Brook.
Hartford gave UAlbany its toughest test of the 2017 America East tournament. The Hawks played the Great Danes tight all game, and had a chance to win at the buzzer, but the three-pointer missed the mark and Hartford fell by two points.
Following the game against Hartford, which is the first of nine in the month of January, UAlbany will return to SEFCU Arena on Saturday, January 6 to host New Hampshire.
THE OUTLOOK: HARTFORD (8-5, 0-0 AE) │ Wednesday, January 3, 7:00 p.m. │ West Hartford, Conn.
Last we met: W, 67-65, March 5, 2017, Portland, Maine
Tale of the Tape:
- Hartford is 4-2 at home this season
- UAlbany is 5-1 on the road
- Hartford defeated Central Connecticut State 68-52; UAlbany defeated CCSU 72-60
- Hartford defeated Siena 71-62; UAlbany defeated Siena 78-63
- Hartford lost to Fordham 69-44; UAlbany defeated Fordham 59-52 in overtime
- Mackenzie Trpcic leads the America East in assists (6.0 apg)
- Jessica Féquière leads the America East in 3FG% (.424) and FT% (.898)
- UAlbany ranks ninth nationally in turnovers forced (23.5)
- UAlbany has won the last 13 straight against Hartford
KEYBANK KEYS TO VICTORY (#KEYBANKKEYS):
- Momentum: UAlbany is 9-1 following a win
- 60: UAlbany is 10-1 when scoring 60 or more points
- Turnovers: UAlbany is 0-1 when committing more turnovers than opponents, and Hartford leads the America East in steals
Series History: UAlbany leads 21-20
2016-17 Record: 17-14, (7-9 AE); sixth place AE, AE semifinalist
Top Offensive Player: Lindsey Abed, Jr., G, (12.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.8 apg)