UAlbany Men's Basketball Nearly Knocks Off ACC's Louisville
Men’s Basketball Score: Louisville 70, UAlbany 68
Location: Louisville, Ky. – KFC Yum! Center
Records: UAlbany (11-3), Louisville (9-2)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team had a chance to knock off ACC powerhouse Louisville with a last-possession shot but came up just short, falling at Louisville 70-68 to complete the Gotham Classic.
- UAlbany: Joe Cremo led UAlbany with 18 points, going 3-for-4 from three. Alex Foster notched his first double-double as a Great Danes, tying the UAlbany single game record for rebounds with 15, adding 10 points. David Nichols concluded with 15 points and seven boards while Greig Stire had 13 rebounds and six points.
- Louisville: Quentin Snider led the Cardinals with 19 points and four assists. Ryan McMahon shot 5-for-8 from three, including the eventual game-winning shot with a minute to play, for 15 points.
- UAlbany continued its rebounding streak, grabbing 52 rebounds, including 21 on offense, to Louisville’s 37. UAlbany also led in points in the paint 34-24.
- 16:29-10:47 1st half: The UAlbany defense holds Louisville to one field goal in almost six minutes, using a corner three by Joe Cremo to tie the game at 11-11.
- 10:36-8:00 1st half: Started by two Mike McMahon threes, Louisville goes on an 8-0 run and leads 19-11.
- 5:58-2:02 1st half: A couple of threes from Ahmad Clark and Cremo pull UAlbany within two. Quentin Snider leads a 10-3 spurt to give Louisville a 36-26 advantage.
- 20:00-14:08 2nd half: UAlbany allows only two field goals in the first 5:52 of the half, with four baskets by UAlbany cutting Louisville’s lead to four at 43-39.
- 9:16-4:44 2nd half: Starting with an 8-0 run, UAlbany takes its first lead in the second half with a 14-1 sprint to go up 63-60. Four different Great Danes scored in that span.
- 2:17-1:02 2nd half: Louisville scores three straight baskets for a 7-0 run to lead 69-65.
- 0:20-0:00 2nd half: Devonte Campbell hits a deep three to pull UAlbany within one with 16 seconds left. After a made Louisville free throw, Campbell gets a three off at the buzzer, missing off the back iron.
Quote: “I am proud of my guys, I knew this was going to be a tremendous challenge. Louisville has great size and athleticism, and our guys executed the gameplan to a T. We beat them on the glass and we were physical, giving ourselves a chance to win down the stretch.” - UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team challenged one of the top teams in the ACC and had a chance to win at the buzzer, narrowly coming up short in a 70-68 defeat at Louisville to finish the Gotham Classic.
UAlbany scored on its opening possession as Travis Charles hit a long jumper. Louisville focused on the frontcourt to start, leading to a 6-0 run and a 6-2 advantage minutes into the game.
UAlbany’s defense held strong against Louisville’s forwards, keeping the Cardinals to one field goal in nearly six minutes. Alex Foster hit a layup while fouled, followed by Joe Cremo knocking down a corner three to tie the game at 11-11 with 10:47 left in the 1st.
Out of a timeout, Ryan McMahon hits a pair of threes to give Louisville a six-point advantage. UAlbany also looked to the perimeter to try to chip away as Ahmad Clark and Cremo each hit threes to pull UAlbany within two at 21-19 with 5:21 to go in the 1st.
Led by six points from Quentin Snider, Louisville rebuilt the lead to 12. In the final two minutes of the half, three different Great Danes hit baskets, capped by a thunderous dunk by Foster, to pull within seven at the break 38-31 Louisville.
With Charles back in the game, he led the early scoring for UAlbany with a couple of jumpers. Later, Foster hit a putback layup, then a steal led to David Nichols hitting the fast break layup to make it 43-39 Louisville with 14:22 remaining in the 2nd.
Again Louisville got back to double digits using the three-point shot, started by McMahon. Nichols hit a couple of floaters from 10 feet out, with an Anas Mahmoud jumper making it 54-43 Louisville with 12:29 to play.
At 59-48 Louisville, UAlbany charges forward with an 8-0 run with primarily play inside, then ended by a Cremo three. After a Louisville free throw, Nichols hit a jumper, then Charles was fouled on a rebound attempt, leading to him hitting a pair of free throws to push UAlbany ahead with 5:24 left. Next possession, Cremo hit a floater to make it 63-60 UAlbany with 4:44 to go.
The sides exchanged scores as Cremo again netted a one-handed shot to put UAlbany’s lead back to three. UAlbany was up 65-62 with 2:25 to go.
Louisville scores the next seven points with two Ray Spalding field goals and a McMahon three to lead by four by the final minute.
UAlbany got the ball back with under 30 seconds left as Devonte Campbell notched a three to pull the Great Danes within one. After Louisville made a front end free throw, Campbell got a look for three for the win, coming up a bit long. Louisville got out with the win 70-68.
After the holiday break, UAlbany will host Kent State at the SEFCU Arena on Thursday, December 28th at 7 p.m. For ticket information for UAlbany basketball games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.