Baseball Falls at Towson 8-7
Score: Towson 8, UAlbany 7
Location: Schuerholz Park in Towson, Md.
Records: UAlbany (3-3); Towson (2-7)
Short Story: UAlbany falls in the third of three games at Towson in the bottom of the ninth.
Coach Mueller: “Overall happy with the series win for the weekend. We had a chance to finish it off today but we gave up too many free passes and had two errors. The younger guys will gain experience through good and tough times for down the road. Clayton gave us a good chance today.”
- John Clayton pitched 5.0 innings allowing five hits and one run with one strikeout and two walks to start for UAlbany
- Patrick Lagravinese hit 2-4 with an RBI and pitched 0.2 innings in the ninth
- Travis Collins hit 2-4 and scored a run
- Ryan Hernandez hit 1-3 and scored two runs
- UAlbany scored seven runs on nine hits
- Towson left 15 runners on base
How it happened
- Towson scored first, putting up one run in the bottom of the first inning
- UAlbany scored four runs in the top of the second
- Travis Collins led off with a single to center. The next two batters, Marc Wangenstein and Ryan Hernandez were each hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs. Two batters later, Chris Turco worked a bases-loaded walk to score Collins. After Nick Kondo struck out, Patrick Lagravinese reached safely on a throwing error by Towson’s pitcher, which cleared the bases.
- In the top of the fourth, Alex Thul led off with a single up the middle. Two batters later, Kondo reached safely on a fielder’s choice, and Thul was safe at second due to a fielding error by the Towson shortstop. Lagravinese next walked to load the bases with one out. Matt Codispoti hit a single to left-center, scoring Thul.
- In the top of the sixth, Lagravinese hit a double to right with two outs that scored Kondo from first base after Kondo had reached on a fielding error by the Towson third baseman
- Towson added four runs in the bottom of the sixth to cut their deficit to one
- Towson scored once in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game at six
- UAlbany took back the lead in the top of the eighth. Hernandez hit a leadoff single through the left side and advanced to second when Thul hit a sacrifice bunt. Two batters later, Kondo hit a single up the middle allowing Hernandez to cross the plate.
- Towson tied the game at seven in the bottom of the eighth, and scored once in the bottom of the ninth to win the game 8-7
Next: UAlbany will head to the West Coast for a three-day, four-game series at Seattle University starting on Friday, March 9.