Women's Basketball Defeats Southern Illinois 68-57
Score: UAlbany 68, Southern Illinois 57
Location: Coliseo Ruben Zayas Montañez in Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
Records: UAlbany (9-2); Southern Illinois (5-5)
Short Story: Playing the first of two games in Puerto Rico, the UAlbany women’s basketball team defeated Southern Illinois 68-57.
Coach Mac: "It's really good to get the first win, because now it helps us enjoy the next couple days. I thought our team, again, gutted the win out. We didn't shoot the ball extremely well, and I thought we could have done better on the boards, especially in the second half. But I thought we executed our halfcourt offense well when we needed to, and our bench gave us big buckets. Jess played a really solid game start to finish, and Mack, once she got into her flow, really played a solid game. All-in-all it's really nice to get the win with the quick turnaround. We just played the other day, had a whole day of travel, and to get the win there I think really shows the grittiness of our team. Now we have another one-day preparation for our next one. Hopefully we can stay focused, but we're happy to be here. It's a beautiful place, and we're excited to enjoy the next day."
- UAlbany forced eight turnovers in the first quarter
- UAlbany out-rebounded Southern Illinois 20-15 in the first half
- Jessica Féquière led all scorers with 25 points
- UAlbany held Southern Illinois to 3-13 shooting in the fourth quarter
How it happened
- Bose Ayialogbe scored two layups in 10 seconds to put UAlbany up 4-2 early
- A 5-0 run by Southern Illinois brought the game within two before Patricia Conroy hit a three to put UAlbany up 14-9
- Southern Illinois tied the game at 17 with a layup after forcing a turnover in the UAlbany backcourt with 1:54 left in the first
- Alexi Schecter blocked two shots on back-to-back possessions with 2:33 left in the second
- UAlbany opened the third quarter on a 9-4 run that extended the lead to 14
- Heather Forster’s layup to end the third quarter put UAlbany up 10
- Southern Illinois opened the fourth on a 5-0 run
- Jessica Féquière put UAlbany back up eight with a three-pointer
- UAlbany followed Southern Illlinois’ 5-0 run by scoring the next seven points
The University at Albany women's basketball team opened up play in Puerto Rico on Tuesday, defeating their first of two opponents, Southern Illinois, 68-57. The Great Danes will have Wednesday off before facing Northern Illinois on Thursday.
Southern Illinois scored the first points of the game, but UAlbany quickly took the lead after Bose Aiyalogbe tied the game with a layup and then immediately forced a turnover and scored another layup in the next 10 seconds. UAlbany would not trail for the remainder of the game.
Leading 11-4, the Great Danes endured a 5-0 run from the Salukis before Patricia Conroy hit a three to momentarily put an end to Southern Illinois momentum. The Salukis slowly cralwed back over the remainder of the first, tying the game at 17 with just under two minutes remaining before the buzzer. UAlbany did not break, and ended the quarter with a two-point, 20-18 lead.
The Great Danes pulled away in the second quarter, the most lopsided of the afternoon. The UAlbany defense held Southern Illinois to 10 points on 4-11 shooting in the second quarter. The Danes' themselves shot only 3-13 from the floor in the second, but made up for it at the free throw line where they hit 10 of 16.
UAlbany opened the third quarter on a 9-4 run that produced their largest lead of the afternoon at 14 points. Both the third and the fourth quarters were played evenly between the teams, with UAlbany outscoring Southern Illinois by just two points in the second half. For the game, Jessica Féquière led all scorers with 25 points, her fifth game this season in which she has scored 20 or more.
Next: The Great Danes have one more game in Puerto Rico, on Thursday, December 21 against Northern Illinois.