UAlbany Men's Basketball Short in 67-58 Defeat at Memphis
Men’s Basketball Score: Memphis 67, UAlbany 58
Location: Memphis, Tenn. - FedexForum
Records: UAlbany (10-2), Memphis (7-2)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team had a tie score at Memphis with 10 minutes to play, but saw its four-game win streak snapped in a 67-58 defeat.
- UAlbany: Joe Cremo led the Great Danes with 16 points, adding five boards and three assists. David Nichols had 14 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals while Greig Stire finished with six points and 11 rebounds.
- Memphis: Kareem Brewton Jr. played 17 minutes off the bench, shooting 8-for-11 for 19 points. Jeremiah Martin concluded with 13 points, five steals, four assists and three rebounds.
- UAlbany outrebounded its opponent 38-32, the 12th straight game UAlbany got more boards than its opponent.
- 20:00-16:01 1st half: UAlbany held Memphis without a basket in the opening 3:59, taking the lead with a Joe Cremo three from David Nichols.
- 16:01-13:36 1st half: Memphis scores four consecutive baskets, all in the paint, to push ahead 8-3. The Tigers kept going into the paint, eventually leading to a 17-7 lead about halfway through the first.
- 20:00-17:58 2nd half: UAlbany scores on four of its first five second half possessions, holding Memphis to one score in that span, to cut the deficit down to one 31-30.
- 12:10-10:15 2nd half: UAlbany ties the game with three consecutive field goals by Matt Conway, Travis Charles and Nichols, for a 45-45 score.
- 6:58-5:17 2nd half: With a number of fast break strikes, Memphis goes on a 9-0 run and takes a 58-48 lead.
Quote: “Our defense was good in the first half, but we made some mistakes this game, giving up too many easy baskets off turnovers. I think we just let their athleticism bother us in the game.”– UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team rallied to a tie game with 10 minutes to play, but came up short in a 67-58 defeat at Memphis on Tuesday night in the Gotham Classic.
Each side had strong defense to begin the game. UAlbany held Memphis without points in the opening 3:59 of the contest, going ahead with a Joe Cremo three just into the fourth minute of play.
Memphis found options in the paint, scoring four consecutive baskets there to take the lead. Cremo broke the run with a floater, then Kareem Brewton Jr. hit a corner three to make it 11-5 Memphis with 13:36 to go in the 1st.
UAlbany kept trying to get open looks on offense, with Travis Charles hitting a turnaround jumper to pull UAlbany within four. Memphis continued to attack primarily at close range, as the Tigers put together a 12-5 spurt, all inside the perimeter, to lead 23-12.
UAlbany ran plays to the basket to begin the second half. Scoring on four of five possessions, capped by a Charles steal, pass to Nichols, pass to Stire for a layup, UAlbany pulled to within one at 31-30 just over two minutes into the second.
The two sides exchanged back and forth, with a couple of outside shots pushing Memphis’s lead back to seven. At 45-39 Memphis, Matt Conway, Charles and Nichols notched field goals to tie the game at 45-45 with 10 minutes to play.
Memphis got back ahead by four, then Alex Foster hit a putback layup and a free throw off the foul. Memphis, using primarily fast break shots, went on a 9-0 run and led by 10 at 58-48 with 5:17 left.
UAlbany had one push left, getting to within two possessions off a Charles layup and two Cremo free throws with three minutes to go, but did not get closer. Late Jamal Johnson points helped Memphis win the game 67-58.
UAlbany returns home to take on Canisius on Saturday, December 16th at 7 p.m. in the SEFCU Arena. For ticket information for UAlbany basketball games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.