Three Net 18+ Points in UAlbany Men's Basketball 91-73 Win at Dartmouth
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 91, Dartmouth 73
Location: Hanover, N.H. – Leede Arena
Records: UAlbany (5-0), Dartmouth (1-2)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team notched its first 5-0 start in over 30 years, knocking off Dartmouth 91-73 on the road with three Great Danes putting up at least 18 points.
- UAlbany: David Nichols earned 19 points, one shy of his season-high, adding four assists, four boards and three steals. Travis Charles shot 8-for-13 for 18 points while Joe Cremo also had 18 points along with four assists.
- Dartmouth: Miles Wright led all players with 21 points and three blocks. Chris Knight shot 6-for-8 off the bench with 16 points and four rebounds.
- UAlbany earns its first 5-0 start since the 1985-86 season.
- 20:00-16:55 1st half: UAlbany holds Dartmouth scoreless in the opening 3:05 of the game. The other way, UAlbany attacks the glass and puts together an 8-0 run, capped by three straight layups by Travis Charles.
- 16:00-13:15 1st half: Dartmouth finds success from three-point range, then using a couple of jumpers to take a 17-16 advantage.
- 5:48-0:00 1st half: Up by two, UAlbany finishes the half on a 17-3 run, including three baskets each by David Nichols and Ahmad Clark, to go into halftime up 50-34.
- 11:08-4:11 2nd half: After Dartmouth pulled to within seven, UAlbany responds with a 16-4 run in almost seven minutes for an 84-65 lead.
Quote: “This was a good road win against a Dartmouth team that played very hard. It is a nice win before the Thanksgiving holiday; we continue to play well on the offensive side, but we have to get better defensively.”– UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team earned its first 5-0 start since the 1985-86 season, defeating Dartmouth 91-73 on the road on Wednesday night.
UAlbany’s defense held Dartmouth off the scoreboard for the opening three minutes, attacking in the paint for four straight layups, the last three by Travis Charles, for a game-opening 8-0 lead.
Dartmouth found success shooting from three to counter, making its first three attempts. A jumper by Miles Wright allowed Dartmouth to take the lead at 17-16 with 13:15 left in the 1st.
The two sides went back and forth, with David Nichols knocking down threes to keep UAlbany on pace with Dartmouth’s jumpers. A steal and score from Ahmad Clark made it 33-29 UAlbany with 6:14 to go in the 1st.
Following a Dartmouth basket, UAlbany held Dartmouth to three points the final 5:47 of the half. The other way, Nichols and Clark each buried three shots on a half-ending 17-3 sprint, capped by a putback by Matt Conway, to send UAlbany into the locker room up 50-34.
Dartmouth chipped away at its deficit primarily using sprints down the lane to hit shots. Two free throws from Guilien Smith got the Big Green within 10, then Costa Anderson buried a corner three to make it 64-51 with 14:03 left to play. Later, the Big Green pulled to within seven at 68-61 with a Brendan Barry three with 11:08 left.
Following two Clark free throws, Joe Cremo flew down the baseline, jumping in the air and tipping in a rebound while fouled, hitting the free throw with it. UAlbany continued to attack and got shots underneath and hit layups or drew fouls, leading to a 16-4 sprint. UAlbany led 84-65 with 4:30 to play.
Clark added another late three to effective seal the game with 1:56 left. UAlbany took the victory 91-73.
UAlbany continues its road travels this weekend, taking on Holy Cross in Massachusetts on Saturday, November 25th at 1:05 p.m.