UAlbany Men's Basketball Scores 50 in 2nd Half, Wins at Boston Univ. 88-74
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 88, Boston University 74
Location: Boston, Mass. – Case Gymnasium “The Roof”
Records: UAlbany (2-0), Boston University (0-2)
Short Story: Down by two at the half, the UAlbany men’s basketball team outscored its opponent 50-34 in the second period to earn an 88-74 road victory over Boston University on Monday night.
- UAlbany: Five Great Danes notched double digit points, led by David Nichols with 20 points, six rebounds and five assists. Travis Charles tied a career-high 16 points off 7-for-10 shooting, adding five rebounds, while Greig Stire notched 14 points and four boards.
- Boston University: Nick Havener was BU’s leading scorer with 19 points, adding three blocks and five rebounds. Destin Barnes had 10 points and seven rebounds off the bench.
- Tonight’s contest was the 500th game for Will Brown as UAlbany head coach.
- UAlbany finished with 56 points in the paint, shooting 57.1% from the field, and 21 points off the free throw line. The Great Danes outrebounded BU 38-27.
- 13:22-12:00 1st half: UAlbany stops a 6-0 BU run with Ahmad Clark hitting a kick-out three up top the arc. Alex Foster hit a pair of layups on drives to make the UAlbany run 7-0 and lead 14-10.
- 10:07-7:36 1st half: Teams exchange another couple of runs, six points in a row by BU is countered by a 6-0 UAlbany run, capped by four Devonte Campbell points, to give the Great Danes a 24-21 lead.
- 3:12-0:00 1st half: UAlbany countered four BU baskets with their own field goals in the paint. A Walter Whyte tip-in at the first half buzzer gave BU a 40-38 lead.
- 20:00-17:19 2nd half: UAlbany goes to the paint to begin, leading to a 9-3 run, including three baskets and a free throw by Greig Stire. UAlbany leads 47-43.
- 16:02-14:47 2nd half: UAlbany scores three baskets in a row, capped by a rebound, race and layup by David Nichols, to push the Great Danes’ lead to nine at 56-47.
- 10:21-9:05 2nd half: A pair of three-pointers pulled BU within six at 66-60.
- 4:19-1:27 2nd half: After a Javante McCoy layup, a Nichols layup and one fouled out Nick Havener, BU’s leading scorer. UAlbany put together a 9-3 streak to lead by 15 and put BU away.
Quote: “I was disappointed with the first half, and I thought we got back to defending like we could defend in the second half. We can score from all five positions; for us to be successful, it is about defense and rebounding.”– UAlbany head coach Will Brown
“We read the defense and the matchups; if they doubled, we tried to get the pass to the open man, and we felt good that we could rebound well.” – UAlbany senior forward Travis Charles
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team outscored Boston University 50-34 in the second half plus scored 56 points in the paint en route to an 88-74 road victory on Monday night.
The first half was routinely an exchange of runs by the teams. David Nichols contributed to the first three baskets, scoring one and assisting two others, for an early 7-4 UAlbany advantage four minutes in.
BU scored six in a row the following minutes, then an Ahmad Clark top of the arc three was followed by two Alex Foster drives down the lane for layups to push UAlbany back up 14-10 eight minutes gone.
The exchanges continued as the two sides had eight tie scores and seven lead changes in the first half. UAlbany kept countering BU long range shots with layups underneath, primarily with Foster and Charles. Walter Whyte hit a tip-in at the first half buzzer to give BU a 40-38 advantage.
UAlbany went back to a paint attack in the second half, leading to a 9-3 spark to begin, including three baskets and a free throw by Greig Stire. Later, a 6-0 run increased the advantage to 56-47, capped by a rebound, race and layup by Nichols, to make it 56-47.
With 12:52 left in the 2nd, UAlbany continued its assault underneath with drives and passing. It led to a couple of Stire free throws pushing UAlbany up 66-55 with under 10 left.
Two BU baskets induced UAlbany to call a timeout. UAlbany responded with a Nichols layup, a Charles layup and two Joe Cremo free throws to build the lead to 12 at 72-60.
BU got to within single digits with 4:19 left, but a layup and one by Nichols gave UAlbany a double digit lead for good. Nichols and Cremo hit free throws down the stretch, with Xavier Cochran scoring his first collegiate basket in the closing minute. UAlbany took the 88-74 victory.
UAlbany returns to the SEFCU Arena for the first of a pair of home games, taking on Yale on Friday, November 17th at 7 p.m.