UAlbany Women's Soccer Secures AE Tournament Berth, Beats Stony Brook 1-0
Women’s Soccer Score: UAlbany 1, Stony Brook 0
Location: Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium – Stony Brook, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (6-10-1, 4-3-1 AE), Stony Brook (8-9, 4-3 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany women’s soccer team earned a 1-0 shutout win at Stony Brook, its third straight victory, on Thursday night to secure a berth in the 2017 America East Tournament.
- UAlbany: Caroline Kopp scored in the 35th minute, her first goal of the season, assisted by Sophia Eifler. Andrea Leitner earned the victory in goal with nine saves.
- Stony Brook: Kimmy Chavkin and Franki Priore each had three shots. Shannon Robinson had the loss with a goal allowed and two saves in the first half, with Sofia Manner finishing the game with three saves.
- UAlbany wins their third game in a row, including the first win at Stony Brook since 2011.
- UAlbany earns a berth into the America East Tournament and will play in the quarterfinal round on Thursday, October 26th. Time and location to be determined.
- 35’ UAlbany goal: Caroline Kopp passed off to Sophia Eifler, who gave the ball back to Kopp. Kopp fired a long range, arcing shot over the keeper and just across the end line to score.
Quote: “The character this team has shown in the last few weeks, I’m not only proud, I’m impressed. I could not be happier for this group and we are looking forward to what is next. We have talked about building and progressing all year, and we want to keep progressing.” – UAlbany head coach Nick Bochette
“We knew that we had to win this game to solidify a spot in the AE Tournament. We came out knowing they were really athletic, playing over the top and to their forwards. We tried to keep a deeper line.” – UAlbany freshman goalkeeper Andrea Leitner
Recap: The UAlbany women’s soccer team notched an important 1-0 shutout victory at Stony Brook on Thursday night, locking in a berth in the upcoming America East Tournament.
UAlbany got some early attacks on the cage, with Caroline Kopp feeding a corner to Katie Gowing for a shot wide left, then minutes later, Mariah Williams sent a shot long range, being saved by Shannon Robinson in the 7th minute. SBU attacked with a couple of long shots, with Andrea Leitner saving three in a span of 15 minutes. After some back and forth in the midfield, a free kick went back and forth from Kopp to Sophia Eifler. Kopp sent a long range, high-arcing shot to the goal, going above the keeper and bouncing inside the goal line to score. UAlbany took a 1-0 lead into the locker room.
SBU had the first chance in the opening minutes, getting a cross over Leitner but missing a shot right. UAlbany fired from long range with Gina Bracamonte and Eifler, with both being saved. SBU got a free kick just outside the box in the 59th minute, kicking the ball into a wall for a corner, which was sent and missed all players. UAlbany’s defense held against SBU breakaways as Leitner stopped a number of crosses plus a long range shot from Manuela Corcho was saved in the 77th minute. Leitner had one more late save as the UAlbany defense, anchor by the back line of Kopp, Hailey Summers, Meghan Malone and Kimberly Dieroff, held off Stony Brook for the 1-0 shutout victory.
UAlbany will find out its seed in the America East Tournament after the league games on Sunday.