Women's Basketball Caps Off Perfect December With Victory Over Dartmouth
Score: UAlbany 76, Dartmouth 61
Location: SEFCU Arena in Albany, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (11-2); Dartmouth (8-4)
Short Story: UAlbany rolls through December undefeated after beating Dartmouth 76-61 to end the 2017-18 non-conference schedule.
Coach Mac: “That was a nice win coming off of the holiday break. I think that we had to get a little bit of the rust out of our system in the first half, but once we did and found our flow I thought the second half was fun. I liked the way we picked our defense up. Even in the first half we had some of the best defensive possessions we’ve had all year. We continued that into the second half, forcing Dartmouth into 32 turnovers, and I think that was the big key to today’s win.”
- UAlbany went 7-0 in December
- UAlbany is 3-1 this season against opponents who beat them last year
- UAlbany scored 30 points off of 32 Dartmouth turnovers
- Jessica Féquière had her fourth-consecutive 20-point game
- Tiana-Jo Carter had two blocks to bring her career total to 137, 14 behind all-time program leader Gia Sanders
How it happened
- Heather Forster scored the first basket of the game after a scoreless two minutes
- Back-to-back threes from Jessica Féquière gave UAlbany an early six-point lead
- UAlbany went on a 10-0 run over 2:15 to take a 12-2 lead with 5:56 left in the first quarter
- Dartmouth responded with an 8-3 run over the next three minutes
- Dartmouth closed the lead to two with 1:37 remaining in the second quarter
- A quick 4-0 run by UAlbany extended the lead back to six
- A layup and-one for Mackenzie Trpcic put UAlbany up nine early in the third
- UAlbany opened the third on a 15-2 run, extending the lead to 19
- Dartmouth inched back to bring the game within 13 in the fourth, but ultimately fell by 15
Winners of their last seven in a row, the University at Albany women’s basketball team capped off an undefeated December with a victory over visiting Dartmouth on Saturday. In their final game of 2017, the Great Danes defeated the Big Green 76-61, leading wire-to-wire.
Nearly two minutes had gone by in the first quarter before either team scored a basket. Heather Forster put the first points on the board with just over eight minutes remaining, sparking a 12-2 opening run for UAlbany, including back-to-back three pointers from Jessica Féquière. Unphased, Dartmouth responded with an 8-3 run to cut the Great Dane lead in half.
Late in the second quarter, Dartmouth had closed to within two. UAlbany quickly rolled off four points in consecutive possessions to bring the lead back to six, which would be the advantage the Great Danes held at halftime.
The Great Danes started pulling away for good early in the third quarter, coming out of halftime on a 15-2 run that saw UAlbany’s lead grow to 19, its largest of the night. Dartmouth would come no closer than 13 points for the remainder of the game, and fell by a final score of 76-61.
Dartmouth is the third team UAlbany has beaten this season against which they suffered a loss a year ago. The team has won seven straight since falling at home to St. John’s on November 30. Twice this month, UAlbany has had to play three games in quick succession. First, the team played three games in seven days on the road. A week later, they played three games in five days, two of which were played in Puerto Rico.
Féquière scored 20 points for the fourth straight game, leading all scorers with 22. Mackenzie Trpric and Bose Aiyalogbe each recorded six assists. Tiana-Jo Carter recorded two blocks, both in the first half, to bring her career total to 137. She currently sits seven blocks behind third place in program history, and 14 behind all-time program leader Gia Sanders.
As a team, UAlbany forced 32 Dartmouth turnovers, resulting in 30 points. Additionally, UAlbany outscored Dartmouth 40-26 in points in the paint. Three Great Danes, Féquière, Trpcic, and Carter, scored in double figures.
Next: The Great Danes begin America East play on January 3 at Hartford.