Men's Soccer Meets UMass Lowell In America East Final
ALBANY, N.Y. – For the second consecutive season, the University at Albany men’s soccer team will play in the America East championship game. Last year, the men defeated Hartford 1-0 at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium to clinch the program’s first America East title. This year, the team will visit UMass Lowell for a chance to win their second.
The Great Danes (13-4-2, 4-2-1 AE) defeated top overall seed Vermont in the semifinal round 1-0 to clinch their title game berth. It was the fifth consecutive shutout victory for UAlbany over Vermont, during which time the Danes have outscored the Catamounts 11-0. It was also the second consecutive year in which UAlbany defeated Vermont in the semifinal to make it to the championship.
UMass Lowell is the second overall seed in the tournament after finishing the conference season with a 5-2-0 record. The team is postseason eligible for the first time this season after finally completing the NCAA divisional transition process. The Riverhawks, who have ranked as highly as 12th in the United Soccer Coaches poll this season, defeated three-seed and #20 nationally New Hampshire 2-1 in Lowell to reach the championship game for the first time in program history. It was the second time UMass Lowell had defeated New Hampshire in 12 days.
Each of the last two meetings between the Great Danes and the Riverhawks has ended 1-0 in favor of the home team. The two teams have alternated wins and losses in each of the five lifetime meetings between the programs. The winner of Sunday’s game will earn the America East’s automatic bid into the NCAA tournament.
Since losing back-to-back games to New Hampshire and UMBC, the Great Danes are unbeaten, going 4-0-2 with all four victories coming as shutouts. Since giving up three goals to UMBC, UAlbany has allowed one goal in the subsequent six games. Overall this season the Great Danes have recorded nine shutout victories.
Sunday's championship game will be broadcast on ESPN3.
THE OUTLOOK: UMASS LOWELL (10-6-1, 5-2-0 AE) │ Sunday, November 12, 2:00 p.m. │ Lowell, Mass.
Last we met: W, 1-0, Sept. 30, 2017, Albany, N.Y.
Tale of the Tape:
- UMass Lowell is 7-0-1 at home this season
- UAlbany is 6-3-1 on the road
- UMass Lowell defeated Boston University 2-0; UAlbany defeated Boston University 3-0
- UMass Lowell defeated Harvard 3-0; UAlbany defeated Harvard 3-1
- UMass Lowell defeated Stony Brook 1-0; UAlbany tied Stony Brook 0-0
- UMass Lowell defeated UMBC 3-2; UAlbany went 1-1 against UMBC
- UMass Lowell lost to Vermont 2-1; UAlbany went 2-0 against Vermont
- UMass Lowell and UAlbany both defeated Binghamton 2-0
- UMass Lowell went 2-0 against New Hampshire; UAlbany lost to New Hampshire 2-1
- UMass Lowell defeated Hartford 2-0; UAlbany defeated Hartford 1-0
- UAlbany leads the America East in scoring offense (1.68); UMass Lowell ranks fifth
- UAlbany ranks second in scoring defense (0.74); UMass Lowell ranks fourth
- Daniel Krutzen leads the America East in assists (7)
- Nico Solabarrieta ranks second in points (22), goals (8) and assists (6)
- Danny Vitiello ranks first in goals against average (0.48), save percentage (0.48) and shutouts (8)
Series History: UAlbany leads 3-2-0
2016 Record: 13-1-2, (5-1-1 America East); First place America East
Top Offensive Players: Jakov Basic, Jr., M/D, (4g, 3a); Dario Javanovski, So., M, (3g, 5a)
Between the Posts: Austin Kroll, Sr., (10-6-1, 1.08 GAA, .683 Sv%)