UAlbany Women's Soccer Finishes Non-League Play with 3-0 Defeat at Missouri
Women’s Soccer Score: Missouri 3, UAlbany 0
Location: Columbia, Mo. – Walton Track-Soccer Stadium
Records: UAlbany (2-7), Missouri (5-4-1)
Short Story: The UAlbany women’s soccer team held SEC-power Missouri to only one goal in the opening two-thirds of the game, but fell to the host Tigers 3-0 to finish non-conference play.
- UAlbany: Caroline Kopp led the team with two shots, putting one on goal, with Sophia Eifler also having a shot on goal. Sophia Chen was in goal, getting four saves in the defeat.
- Missouri: Madison Lewis scored the opening goal in the 33rd minute, followed by two goals from Tess Rellihan in the 70th and 79th minutes. Kelsey Dossey got the win in goal with two saves in the first half, with Kristen Rivers completing the game in the second half.
- 33’ Missouri goal – From just outside the box, Madison Lewis drills a free kick on the ground through the UAlbany wall inside the post.
- 70’ Missouri goal – Chen saves a long range shot; the rebound is sent into the corner by Tess Rellihan.
- 79’ Missouri goal – Through ball to the left of the UAlbany back line find Rellihan for the line drive shot and score.
Quote: “It was a good effort and a great shift of work the ladies put in tonight. Mizzou is far and away the most athletic and dynamic team we will face this year, and I think our group did a fantastic job raising our level to compete. I firmly believe that playing games against big programs like Mizzou will prove to be fantastic as we enter America East play next week.” – UAlbany head coach Nick Bochette.
Recap: Though the UAlbany women’s soccer team held Missouri to just one goal in the opening 69 minutes of the game, the Great Danes fell to the Tigers 3-0 to wrap up the non-conference season.
UAlbany early kept trying to attack on quick strikes, with Sophia Eifler getting the first shot of the save being saved. UAlbany held against a couple of Missouri attacks, including one where the Tigers had three shots in eight seconds, all being turned away. In the 33rd minute, Madison Lewis sent a free kick through the UAlbany wall into the goal to put Missouri on the board 1-0, the eventual halftime score.
UAlbany came out aggressive in the second half as a shot from Caroline Kopp was blocked. The other way, Sophia Chen defended with saves against two Kaitlyn Clark shots. A third shot was saved by Chen in the 70th minute, but the rebound was put into the net on a shot from Tess Rellihan. Rellihan added a second goal in the 79th minute off a through ball. UAlbany got a couple of late chances, including a Hailey Summers shot wide, but could not get on the board and fell 3-0.
UAlbany now gets ready for its conference opener in Baltimore, taking on UMBC on Sunday, September 24th at 1 p.m.