Big play caps football's 30-27 win over Morgan State
Score: UAlbany 30, MSU 27
Location: Tom & Mary Casey Stadium in Albany, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany 1-2, Morgan State 0-3
Short story: Vincent Testaverde’s 88-yard touchdown pass to Dev Holmes and Ethan Stark’s 51-yard field goal in the fourth quarter helped the University at Albany football team emerge with a 30-27 victory over Morgan State on Saturday at Casey Stadium.
- Dev Holmes rolled up 238 receiving yards, the second-highest single-game total in program history and just 13 yards short of the top mark set by Chris Phillis in 2000. Holmes caught eight passes, including the touchdown.
- Ethan Stark’s 51-yard field goal was a career high and the third-longest in program history. He also connected from 27 and 32 yards.
- Vincent Testaverde threw for 310 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He has thrown for more than 200 yards in all three games this season.
- Donovan McDonald returned a punt 67 yards for a touchdown. It was UAlbany’s first punt returned for a touchdown since 2010.
- Danny Damico, making his first career start at linebacker, led the defense with 16 tackles.
Head coach Greg Gattuso: “I’m really proud of them. Morgan State is a much improved team, and we’re not playing our football yet. But to win a game with five turnovers is darn near impossible. That shows resiliency. We took a lot of steps forward today.”
Dev Holmes’ 88-yard catch and run for a touchdown in the fourth quarter was the decisive score in the University at Albany football team’s wild 30-27 victory over Morgan State on Saturday at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.
The Great Danes were trailing 27-23 with about eight minutes to play when quarterback Vincent Testaverde, facing a second and 23 from his own 12-yard line, rifled a pass over the middle to a wide open Holmes, who ran untouched to the end zone in front of 6,501 fans.
Ethan Stark, who had three field goals in the game, also booted a 51-yarder in the fourth quarter to give UAlbany a 23-20 lead.
The lead changed three times in the game before UAlbany was able to hold off Morgan State, of the MEAC, for a second straight season.
After UAlbany emerged from the first quarter with a 3-0 lead behind Stark’s 27-yard field goal, Morgan State started the second period with a 90-yard touchdown strike from quarter back DeAndre Harris to receiver Manasseh Bailey.
But UAlbany still went on to lead 17-13 at halftime, thanks to Wesneski’s touchdown catch and then McDonald’s punt return.
McDonald, a member of the preseason All-Colonial Athletic Association team as a punt returner, fielded a kick on one hop with about eight minutes left before halftime, then weaved his way through the defense for a touchdown that put the Great Danes ahead 17-7.
In the third quarter, after MSU had retaken a 20-17 lead, Stark finished a six-play, 77-yard drive with a 32-yard field goal to tie the game.
Stark then broke the tie with 12:16 left on his third and longest kick of the day.
Morgan State briefly grabbed the lead back, 27-23, on an interception returned for a touchdown with 7:55 left. But Holmes and Testaverde answered with their long TD just 1 minute, 1 second later to close out the scoring.
UAlbany is home again Saturday to face St. Francis (Pa.) at 7 p.m. in a game presented by TIAA.