UAlbany Men's Basketball Earns Win #21, Defeats Maine 89-79
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 89, Maine 79
Location: Albany, N.Y. – SEFCU Arena
Records: UAlbany (21-9, 9-6 AE), Maine (6-24, 3-12 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team secured a winning record in America East play for the eighth consecutive year as the Great Danes defeated Maine 89-79 on Saturday night.
- UAlbany: Joe Cremo led the Great Danes with 24 points, adding four assists. Travis Charles had his second double-double of the year with 16 points and 14 rebounds, as did Greig Stire with 15 points and 11 boards. David Nichols finished with 16 points, five rebounds and four assists.
- Maine: Aaron Calixte led all scorers with 25 points off 10-for-14 shooting. Isaiah White tallied 22 points, six rebounds and two blocks.
- Cremo moved into the top-10 in UAlbany history in point scored, standing with 1,432 in his career.
- UAlbany outrebounded Maine 45-26 in this game.
- With other results in the league, UAlbany, as the 4-seed, will host 5-seed Stony Brook in the America East Quarterfinal round on Saturday, March 3rd at 7 p.m.
- With the victory, UAlbany secures a winning record in America East play. UAlbany has had a winning record in league play each year starting in the 2010-11 season.
- 6:02-5:14 1st half: UAlbany scores on three consecutive possessions for a 7-0 run, capped by a transition score from Devonte Campbell to Travis Charles, to take a 31-22 advantage.
- 3:09-0:00 1st half: Four different scorers contribute to a half-ending 8-0 run as UAlbany takes a 39-26 advantage into the locker room.
- 20:00-16:22 2nd half: Maine hits six of its first seven shots of the second half to pull within four at 44-40 UAlbany.
Quote: “We hadn’t played in a week, and I thought we got out of the gate a bit slow. The last 12-13 minutes of the first half, I thought we did a good job defending and sharing the ball. The second half we just exchanged baskets, but we got the win.” – UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team defeated Maine 89-79 on Saturday night to secure a winning record in America East play this season.
Offense was the early victor in the game, with Maine scoring on its first four possessions, and UAlbany netting points in their first three. UAlbany took the lead off Greig Stire free throws and a Devonte Campbell layup to go up 11-9.
The play continued to go back and forth, with Maine shooting over 60% to begin and UAlbnay countering with threes and free throws. After an Isaiah White three gave Maine a lead, a Joe Cremo free throw, a Travis Charles layup and an Ahmad Clark three made it 22-20 UAlbany with 8:41 in the 1st.
Following an exchange, UAlbany put together a 7-0 run in less than a minute’s time, capped by a transition layup from Campbell to Charles, to give the Great Danes a 31-22 lead.
With a layup and a basket forced off a halfcourt steal, Maine pulled to within five. UAlbany held Maine without points for the final 4:25 of the half, seeing four different Great Danes add baskets for an 8-0 run and go into the locker room up 39-26.
Maine picked up the tempo of its offense early in the 2nd half, hitting six of its first seven shots. UAlbany held the advantage, being up 44-40 after an Aaron Calixte three with 16:22 left in the half.
UAlbany got points back using the free throw line, getting a 6-0 run with all points coming from guards, ending on a hook shot from Cremo. After a Maine free throw, Alex Foster notched a putback to make it 52-41 UAlbany with 13:38 left. Later, more free throw gave UAlbany a 13-point advantage at 10:28 remaining.
After an exchange of points, Calixte hit a long three and one to complete a 6-0 run, bringing the visitors with seven at 60-53 at the under-nine mark.
UAlbany kept the lead, going back up by double digits off two consecutive baskets by Cremo. Later, Costa Anderson buried catch and shoot three, then a Charles layup made it 72-57 UAlbany with 4:29 to go.
Maine got back to within single digits with a Dennis Ashley three with 1:33 to go. UAlbany held the advantage the rest of the way in a battle of free throws, with Greig Stire hitting six in the final minute, as UAlbany took the win 89-79.
UAlbany will celebrate Senior Night on Tuesday, February 27th at 7 p.m., hosting Binghamton at the SEFCU Arena. For ticket information for UAlbany men’s basketball games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.