Women's Basketball Falls at Hartford 70-55
Score: Hartford 70, UAlbany 55
Location: Chase Arena in West Hartford, Conn.
Records: UAlbany (11-3, 0-1 AE); Hartford (9-5, 1-0 AE)
Short Story: UAlbany saw its seven-game winning streak snapped in the America East opener, falling 70-55 at Hartford.
Coach Mac: “Offensively, it definitely wasn’t our night. We didn’t take advantage of Hartford’s press, but let it take advantage of us. We threw the ball all over the place. When we haven’t played well offensively we’ve been able to make up for it in other ways, whether it be our rebounding or our defense, but today it felt like we weren’t clicking on either end of the floor. I thought you saw a good spark from us in the third quarter where we showed what we can do, but we were in such a deep hole at that point that it was hard to come out of.”
- Hartford forced nine UAlbany turnovers in the first quarter
- Two Hawks scored in double-figures midway through the second
- UAlbany shot 0-11 from three in the first half
- Hartford recorded 18 total steals
- Tiana-Jo Carter shot 6-9 from the floor
- Four Hawks scored in double-figures
How it happened
- Hartford opened the game on a 7-0 run
- Tiana-Jo Carter got UAlbany on the board with 7:45 left in the first
- Emma List hit a baseline jumper as time expired in the first, keeping the UAlbany deficit at 10
- Hartford opened the second quarter on a 10-2 run
- UAlbany trailed 46-22 at the half
- UAlbany opened the third on an 8-2 run
- UAlbany cut the lead to 10 with 4:45 left in the third
- Hartford rebuilt its lead to 17 entering the fourth
- UAlbany came with 13 in the fourth, but fell by 15, 70-55
The University at Albany women’s basketball team lost their first game since November 30, falling at Hartford 70-55 in the America East opener. UAlbany had won their last seven in a row, and their last 13 against the Hawks.
Hartford came out firing immediately in the first half, opening up a 7-0 lead in the first minute and a half. The Hawks’ press defense forced UAlbany to commit nine turnovers in the first quarter alone, leading to 14 Hartford points. The second quarter played out in the same manner, with Hartford taking a 24-point lead into the break.
UAlbany mounted its most promising comeback early in the third quarter, behind senior Tiana-Jo Carter’s 10-points in the period. With 6:30 left in the third, UAlbany had erased one-third of its halftime deficit. The Danes opened the second half on a 12-2 run, forcing seven turnovers in the first four minutes. UAlbany would come no closer than 10 points, however, as the Hawks were able to extend their lead to 17 heading into the fourth quarter.
UAlbany came within 13 points of Hartford at various points in the fourth quarter but were unable to complete the comeback. The Great Danes ultimately fell by a final score of 70-55. As a team, UAlbany outscored Hartford 34-26 in points in the paint and 25-7 in bench points, but lagged behind the Hawks 32-18 in points off of turnovers.
Next: UAlbany returns to SEFCU Arena on Saturday, January 6 to host preseason conference favorite New Hampshire. The Great Danes split both regular season meetings with the Wildcats last year.