UAlbany Men's Basketball — Back-to-Back Albany Cup Champion
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 74, Siena 69
Location: Albany, N.Y. – Times Union Center
Records: UAlbany (10-1), Siena (2-7)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team retained the Albany Cup in a thriller at the Times Union Center, defeating Siena 74-69 for its fifth win in six contests against its crosstown rival and fourth straight win this season.
- UAlbany: Travis Charles led all scorers with 19 points off 7-of-12 shooting and 5-for-6 from the field. Joe Cremo had 16 points, two steals and two assists while David Nichols tallied 12 points, three assists and three steals.
- Siena: Roman Penn was the leading scorer for the Saints, shooting 8-for-8 from the line and concluding with 15 points. Evan Fisher nearly had a double-double with 10 points and seven rebounds.
- For the 11th consecutive game this season, UAlbany outrebounded its opponent, grabbing 30 boards to Siena’s 27. Greig Stire had 10 rebounds to lead the Great Danes.
- This is the second straight win, and fifth victory in six years, for the Great Danes in the Albany Cup battle with Siena. That includes a 4-1 record at the Times Union Center in that span.
- 16:37-13:27 1st half: The UAlbany defense helped Siena miss six shots in a row as Travis Charles scored three straight baskets, adding a Joe Cremo three-pointer to give UAlbany a 13-6 lead.
- 6:37-4:23 1st half: Four different Great Danes score on the 10-0 run by UAlbany, started by a deep three from Ahmad Clark, to go up 30-19.
- 7:46-3:49 2nd half: Siena takes its first lead of the second half with a 15-2 spurt, capped by two Ahsante Shivers threes, to go up 65-63 at the half’s final media.
- 2:55-0:01 2nd half: With a tie game, UAlbany holds Siena without a field goal until the final second, scoring seven points, started by four from Charles, and holding Siena off the board for five consecutive possessions.
Quote: “I thought it was a hard fought game, Siena played really well. I told our guys with four minutes to go, ‘This is where really good teams maintain their composure, play with poise and finish the job.’ I thought our guys did a real good job making plays down the stretch.” – UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The Albany Cup is returning to the UAlbany campus as the Great Danes won a battle at the Times Union Center, pulling away late to topple Siena 74-69 for its fourth straight victory.
After Siena hit a couple of threes, the UAlbany defense held off six Siena shots as Travis Charles scored three consecutive jumpers, then Joe Cremo buried a three in transition to complete a 9-0 run and give the Great Danes a 13-6 advantage a little over 6:30 in.
Defense held the day in the next couple of minutes, with each side exchanging a couple of points. Ahmad Clark and David Nichols hit shots from the paint to push UAlbany up 20-14 with just under eight minutes left in the 1st.
Siena pulled to within one following a putback from Sammy Friday. Started by a Clark deep three, UAlbany countered with a 10-0 run, capped by a Costa Anderson corner perimeter basket, to push ahead 30-19 with 4:23 to go in the 1st.
Again Siena pulled to within two possessions with just over three minutes to play in the half. UAlbany held Siena to one basket in the final three minutes of the first, using a layup in traffic by Matt Conway to go up 38-28 at the break.
Siena got looks underneath the basket and chipped away with layups and free throws, pulling to within five at 43-38 by the second half’s first media timeout.
The Saints kept the attack in the paint, getting to within one twice, the latter off a Prince Oduro layup. UAlbany held the advantage using the perimeter, with Clark and Cremo hitting back-to-back three-point field goals to make it 53-46 UAlbany with 11:49 to play. UAlbany’s defense held for two-and-a-half minutes without allowing points, adding a free throw for a 54-46 advantage with 9:30 left.
UAlbany held Siena without a field goal for a span of over five minutes, using a layup and one by Greig Stire to build 61-50 lead with 7:50 left in the 2nd.
Capped by a pair of three-pointers by Ahsante Shivers, Siena took the lead off a 15-2 run, going up 65-63 at the final media timeout with 4:04 remaining.
Out of the timeout, Charles hit a jumper to tie the game. After each side scored two points, Charles buried the go-ahead jumper with 2:31 left to make it 69-67 UAlbany. UAlbany held on defense for over two minutes, including Stire drawing a charge on Clareth.
Charles again helped UAlbany’s cause, hitting two free throws with 33 seconds left. Shivers put up a three with Cremo contesting with 23 seconds left, missing short. The other way, Nichols added two more free throws with 19 seconds to go for a 73-67 UAlbany advantage.
UAlbany’s defense held again as a Khalil Richard three missed short. UAlbany got back the ball as Cremo hit a backend free throw to seal the game. Nick Fruscio entered in with six seconds left as UAlbany took the victory 74-69.
UAlbany plays game #3 of its part of the Gotham Classic on Tuesday, December 12th, heading to Tennessee to take on Memphis at 9 p.m. ET (8 p.m. CT).