Women's Basketball Defeats Manhattan 62-56
Score: UAlbany 62, Manhattan 56
Location: Draddy Gymnasium in Riverdale, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (6-2); Manhattan (2-6)
Short Story: After trailing by as many as 12, the UAlbany women’s basketball team fought back against Manhattan to defeat the Jaspers 62-56 in the Danes’ second of three straight road games.
Coach Mac: "I thought Manhattan played really hard. Their guards took it to us as far as driving north-south. They didn't do anything that wasn't on the scout, but we didn't follow our scout, which allowed them to do what they're really good at. I was glad we finally stepped it up with the rebounding in the second half, but I think we had too many bail-out fouls. I think they had eight points in the fourth quarter from us just fouling them, which is too many. We have to take better care of the ball and not be as turnover prone, and we have to work on all of these things in the next couple of days because we have Siena on Saturday. But after their hot start in the first quarter we were able to find a bit of an offensive rhythm, realizing that we just had to reverse the ball and play inside out we looked a lot better."
- Manhattan shot 9-10 from the floor in the first quarter
- Mackenzie Trpcic had five assists in the first half
- Tiana-Jo Carter scored eight of her nine points in the fourth quarter
How it happened
- UAlbany and Manhattan trades baskets through the first four minutes of the game
- Midway through the first Manhattan built a four-point lead
- Manhattan led by eight at the end of the first quarter
- Patricia Conroy hit back-to-back threes to but the lead to six
- UAlbany held Manhattan to six points in the second quarter
- With 3:52 left in the third, Jessica Féquière gave UAlbany its first lead since 6:43 in the first
- A 7-2 run towards the end of the third put UAlbany up three
- With nine minutes remaining in the fourth, Aiyalogbe hit a three-pointer as the shot clock expired to put UAlbany up five
- Féquière hit a three on the next UAlbany possession to extend the lead to eight
- UAlbany opened the fourth quarter on a 10-2 run
- Tiana-Jo Carter scored eight straight points to put UAlbany up 10 with two minutes remaining
Continuing their three-game road trip, the University at Albany women’s basketball team visited Manhattan Wednesday night, putting their three-game road winning streak on the line.
A close beginning of the first quarter saw UAlbany hold a one-point lead near the midway point, having traded baskets with Manhattan through the first four minutes of the game. Manhattan slowly started pulling away after trailing 5-4, ultimately closing out the first quarter leading by eight, 21-13.
In the second quarter, Manhattan led by as many as 12 before freshman Patricia Conroy hit back-to-back three pointers to cut the lead to six. After allowing Manhattan to shoot 9-10 from the floor in the first quarter, the UAlbany defense held the Jaspers to just six points on 3-11 shooting in the second, and entered halftime trailing by five, 27-22.
After the defense forced a turnover to start the third quarter, Bose Aiyalogbe hit a three to cut the lead to two. Aiyalogbe later cut the lead to one after making one of two free throws with six minutes left. Two minutes of game time later, Jessica Féquière scored a fast-break layup, putting UAlbany up one for the Danes’ first lead since 6:43 in the first quarter. Féquière’s layup was part of a 7-2 Great Dane run that saw UAlbany take a three-point lead, it’s largest of the night to that point.
Starting with seven minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Tiana-Jo Carter scored on four consecutive UAlbany possessions to put UAlbany up by 10 with two minutes left in the game. UAlbany went on to win by six, 62-56.
Féquière led all scorers with 19 points. Mackenzie Trpcic recorded eight assists for the fourth time in five games.
Next: The Great Danes close out their three-game road trip Saturday, December 9 at Siena.