UAlbany Volleyball Earns Road Sweep over Defending AE Champion New Hampshire
Volleyball Score: UAlbany 3, New Hampshire 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-23)
Location: Durham, N.H. – Lundholm Gymnasium
Records: UAlbany (8-13, 8-1 AE), New Hampshire (10-13, 5-4 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany volleyball team earned its seventh straight win with a road sweep over the defending conference champion New Hampshire to improve to 8-1 in America East play.
- UAlbany: Danielle Tedesco hit .471 in the match with 10 kills and four blocks, including two solo, while Tatiana Tiangco hit .308 with 10 kills and three digs. Akuabata Okenwa tallied seven kills, six digs and four blocks.
- New Hampshire: Hannah Petke led all players with 11 kills, hitting .318, while Gabri Olhava hit .444 for 10 kills and two aces.
- UAlbany has won seven consecutive matches and has a two-and-a-half match lead for first place in the America East.
- UAlbany had 11 team blocks in the match, including seven in the first set. UAlbany hit .216 as a team.
- Set one: UAlbany had a pair of early 4-0 runs to lead 12-5, never trailing by more than five after that. UAlbany had seven blocks in the 25-16 game victory.
- Set two: A back and forth set most of the way, UAlbany finished with a 7-0 run off Kelly Cameron’s serving, sandwiched by kills from Danielle Tedesco, to win 25-18.
- Set three: Another pair of 4-0 runs gave UAlbany a 12-7 advantage. UNH got back to within one at 22-21, but UAlbany held the lead and won with late kills from Tedesco, Akuabata Okenwa and Chloe Evering finished the game in favor of UAlbany 25-23.
Quote: “We played well enough to win, UNH was smart in this match. We served pretty aggressively and kept them out of system quite a bit, which helped us block some balls. I’m really proud that we stayed focused and got the win in three sets. Earlier this season, we were not as mentally tough. The freshmen, Danielle Tedesco and Tatiana Tiangco, did a great job today!” – UAlbany head coach MJ Engstrom
Recap: The UAlbany volleyball team improved its winning streak to seven with a road sweep of defending America East champion New Hampshire on Sunday afternoon.
Nina Holmes served UAlbany through an early 4-0 run, then after some exchanges, Nicole Otero sent UAlbany through another 4-0 surge to give the Great Danes a 12-5 advantage. UNH took three, then UAlbany gained them back, including a kill and block from Tatiana Tiangco. UAlbany kept a strong lead when at 21-16, UAlbany won the final four points, including kills from Chloe Evering and Tiangco, to take the set 25-16.
Set two saw Danielle Tedesco notch two aces to give UAlbany a 5-1 advantage. UNH eventually took a three-point advantage at 11-8 with two aces from Gabri Olhava. UAlbany pushed to a 3-0 run and tie the set as the sides went back and forth, staying close. At 18-18, Tedesco notched a kill to send Kelly Cameron to serve. Tiangco buried a kill to force a UNH timeout, but UAlbany continued the run with three more points before another UNH timeout. UAlbany finished the set with a Cameron ace and a Tedesco kill to end on a 7-0 run and win the game 25-18.
Early kills from Tiangco set up an 8-4 lead for UAlbany in set three, later being 12-7 after a 4-0 run off Otero’s serving. UNH pulled to within one at 15-14 following two blocks and a kill from Kennedi Smith. UAlbany rebuilt the lead with three straight points, started by a Taylor Robinson kill, to go up 20-16. UNH against rallied back off a kill and block from Olhava to pull within one at 22-21. UAlbany held with a Tedesco kill and kept the lead, following a UNH point with a Akuabata Okenwa kill. After Smith had a kill, UAlbany delivered on match point with an Evering kill down the line to win the set 25-23 and take the match in three.
UAlbany returns home for two matches this weekend, taking on UMBC on Friday, November 3rd at 7 p.m. for Senior Day.