UAlbany Women's Soccer Comeback Short in 2-1 Defeat vs. UMass Lowell
Women’s Soccer Score: UMass Lowell 2, UAlbany 1
Location: Albany, N.Y. – Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Records: UAlbany (3-10-1, 1-3-1 AE), UMass Lowell (4-5-4, 1-2-1 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany women’s soccer team attempted to rally back from down two in the second half but fell short in a 2-1 defeat vs. UMass Lowell on Sunday.
- UAlbany: Mariah Williams scored her fourth goal of the season in the 63rd minute, assisted by Miranda Badovinac. Williams and Vivian Vega each had five shots. Andrea Leitner had the loss in goal with four saves.
- UMass Lowell: Rachel Morrier scored each goal for the River Hawks unassisted in the 39th and 59th minutes. Julia Schneider notched the victory, saving eight shots in goal.
- UAlbany outshot UMass Lowell 17-10 in the game, including nine shots on goals to UML’s seven.
- 39’ UML goal – A one-on-one with the keeper, Rachel Morrier got past Andrea Leitner and scored on a ground ball shot in the box.
- 59’ UML goal – On a free kick 24 yards out, Morrier scores on a long drive shot under the crossbar.
- 63’ UAlbany goal – Miranda Badovinac steals the ball from a defender for a 2-on-3 chance. A pass to Mariah Williams results in a shot and score inside the right post from 12 yards out.
Quote: “We looked good in spells and created chances, but not enough to win the game. We conceded two, and it was hard to dig out of that hole. I thought we did a great job responding and had lots of chances to equalize, and those are encouraging signs, we just need to be that way the whole game.” – UAlbany head coach Nick Bochette
Recap: A 63rd minute goal by Mariah Williams was not enough to complete the comeback as the UAlbany women’s soccer team fell to UMass Lowell 2-1 on Sunday.
UAlbany was the early aggressor in the game as a Caroline Kopp shot was saved, and a second attempt by Miranda Badovinac was blocked by a defender in the 3rd minute. Andrea Leitner held on a couple of long range shots from UML, then in the 24th minute, a header from Maddie Walsh was stopped by Badovinac in front of the goal line. Vivian Vega had a header towards the post in minute 36, saved by Julia Schneider. In the 39th minute, Rachel Morrier had a one-on-one with the goalkeeper, scoring on a ground ball shot. UAlbany had two more shots on cage in the half, going into the locker room down 1-0.
Morrier had a few more long range shots in the second half, then as the clock hit 59 minutes, sent a free kick under the crossbar to make it 2-0 UMass Lowell. UAlbany responded in the 63rd minute as Badovinac took the ball off a defender and raced down in a 2-on-3, setting up Williams for the kick and score in the right post to pull UAlbany within one. UAlbany kept the pace up, sending multiple shots towards the cage, including two more from Williams that were saved. Kopp sent a corner to the left post for Vega, who missed just left in the 87th minute. UAlbany fell to UMass Lowell 2-1.
UAlbany hits the road for its next game, taking on Vermont on Thursday, October 12th at 7 p.m. in Burlington.