Women’s Tennis Concludes America East Regular Season with 5-2 Loss at NJIT
NEWARK, N.J. – After winning four straight in April, the University at Albany women’s tennis team (9-12, 1-3 AE) has fallen on a three-match losing streak following a tough 5-2 defeat at NJIT on Tuesday.
"This was a fun match because there were so many highly competitive matches,” said head coach Gordon Graham. “ I love the way we fought, and I'm looking forward to the America East Tournament because we are ready to catch some teams by surprise."
For the second time in three matches, the Great Danes found themselves in an early hole after losing the doubles point. Mireille Hermans and Paulina Torres emerged victorious in the No. 2 doubles match (8-7(6), but the Highlanders had already taken the No. 1 and No. 3 wins.
Cheryl Kukkonen retired in the No. 1 singles match, and Torres was defeated in straight sets (6-1, 6-3) to give NJIT a 3-0 lead. Alba Sala and Kirsten Scott put the Purple & Gold back in a competitive position after winning their singles matches in the No. 5 and No. 3 slots. Sala won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 and Scott won in three sets (6-2, 6-7(5), 6-4) to put UAlbany within one point, 3-2.
The Highlanders closed out the contest with a three set win in the No. 2 singles match to clinch the win.
Graham’s Great Danes conclude the regular season with Asa College at the Varsity Courts on UAlbany’s campus on Friday, April 18 at 2:00 p.m. The Purple & Gold will then travel to Baltimore for the America East Tournament, which kicks off on Friday, April 25. UAlbany finished second at last year’s conference championship.
NJIT 5, UALBANY 2
1. Kuzmenko-Luste (NJIT) def. Kukkonen-Sala (UA) 8-2
2. Hermans-Torres (UA) def. Melibeu-Zanotta (NJIT) 8-7(6)
3. Habegger-MacDonald (NJIT) def. Scott-Crummey (UA) 8-6*
Order of finish: 1,3,2
*Clinched doubles point for NJIT.
1. Ksenia Kuzmenko (NJIT) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-1,2-0 (ret.)
2. Martina Tripcovici (NJIT) def. Mireille Hermans (UA) 6-1,6-7(3),7-5$
3. Kirsten Scott (UA) def. Jana Luste (NJIT) 6-2,6-7(5),6-4
4. Nathalie Habegger (NJIT) def. Paulina Torres (UA) 6-1,6-3
5. Alba Sala (UA) def. Natalia Melibeu (NJIT) 6-2,6-3
6. Carolina Zanotta (NJIT) def. Cat Crummey (UA) 7-5,6-3
Order of finish:
$Clinched match for NJIT