Men’s Basketball Takes Two-Game Winning Streak to New Hampshire on Thursday
Fox Sports 980
ALBANY, N.Y. – University at Albany men’s basketball (10-9, 4-2 AE) heads to Durham, N.H., this weekend to face New Hampshire (3-15, 1-4 AE) on Thursday at 7 p.m.
Peter Hooley scored a game-high 17 points to lead the Great Danes over Binghamton 66-60 on Monday night. UAlbany downed the Bearcats for the seventh consecutive time.
Dallas Ennema played a career-high 21 minutes and recorded career highs in points (12) and rebounds (7). He also dished out two assists.
Gary Johnson recorded his third consecutive game with 10 points or more against Binghamton. The senior had 10 to go with three rebounds and two assists. The defending America East Player of the Week has shot 75% or better from the field and the free throw line in the last two games.
LAST WE MET
The last time the Great Danes traveled to Lundholm Gym, Sam Rowley emerged with a double-double (10&10) in addition to two steals and a perfect 4-for-4 clip from the charity stripe. UAlbany shot just 27.3% (3-11) from three-point land, but came away with the 68-62 victory to send the Wildcats to 0-4 in conference play.
In the all-time series, Luke Devlin recorded a UAlbany single-game high 14 rebounds against New Hampshire on Feb. 2, 2011. Devlin helped the Great Danes bring down an all-time team game-high 56 rebounds in conference play. Rowley’s 10 rebounds last season ranks fifth in all-time series single-game rebounds.
BUY ONE GET ONE FREE
After making a league-game high 25 free throws at Maine on Jan. 18, UAlbany went just 15-for-27 (.556) from the line against Binghamton. The Great Danes are third in the nation in free throw percentage (.758) and first in the league.
This year’s Great Danes have already made 305 free throws, which ranks No. 10 in Division I program history.
JOHNSON EARNS AMERICA EAST PLAYER OF THE WEEK ACCOLADES
Senior forward Gary Johnson was named America East Player of the Week on Jan. 20 after scoring 41 points in a 1-1 week for the Great Danes.
The senior forward scored a career-high 28 points in an 85-78 win at Maine on Jan. 18. Johnson’s previous career high was 16 points, set at Brown earlier this season. He went a career-best 9-for-11 (.818) from the field, and made a career-high 10 free throws against the Black Bears. Johnson became the 11th player in to score 28 points in a single game for the Great Danes in the America East era, and the ninth to do so in conference play.
Johnson also scored 13 points and grabbed four rebounds in a 70-66 overtime loss to UMass Lowell on Jan. 15.
SCOUTING NEW HAMPSHIRE
• UAlbany leads the all-time series 16-12, and has won the last three meetings.
• In their last meeting at SEFCU Arena, Patrick Conan scored 24 points on 9-for-10 from the field to nearly pull the upset, but the Great Danes won 56-49. Konan is currently averaging 11.2 points per game to rank 15th in the conference in overall scoring average.
• The Wildcats (3-15, 1-4 AE), have lost 15 of their last 16 games, including a 13-game winless streak. Bill Herrion’s squad broke the drought with a 56-42 win over UMBC on Jan. 15.
• In the win over the Retrievers, Frank Okeke tallied his first career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
• UNH’s last league game was a 57-40 loss at Vermont.