Tennis Defeated by Army, 4-3; Eyes Now Set on Conference Tournament
Photo: Rocio Lopez (above) won her 15th dual singles match to conclude the regular season on Saturday, April 20.
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The University at Albany women’s tennis team was narrowly defeated by Army College, 4-3, on Saturday, April 20. This was the final regular season match of the 2012-13 season. The Great Danes will now set their sights on the semifinal round of the America East Tournament on Saturday, April 27. Junior Rocio Lopez finished the season with a career-high 15 dual single victories.
In doubles play, No. 1 duo, sophomore Kirsten Scott and Lopez, won their 11th dual match this season. They defeated junior Della Taylor and sophomore Elle Taylor, 8-1. The Black Knights were victorious at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to win the matches first point. Graduate student Irene Santos-Bravo and freshman Cat Crummey played a close match against senior Larraine Saavedra and junior Margaret Lliev. They were defeated at the No. 3 position, 8-6.
UAlbany (8-13, 3-2 AE) rallied after the first point was decided. They split six singles matches with Army (20-6, 6-0 Patriot) – winning at the No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 spots. Lopez defeated freshman Carolyn Pitman, 6-4, 7-5. Crummey and fellow freshman Mireille Hermans defeated sophomore Alyssa Gleason, 6-2, 6-4. At the No. 3 and No. 4 position, the Great Danes gave the Black Knights a scare. Scott was defeated by D. Taylor, 7-5, 6-4 while sophomore Cheyl Kukkonen was edged 6-3, 6-4.
“This was excellent prep for us before heading into the America East Tournament,” said head coach Gordon Graham. “We played well across the board and feel we are prepared for postseason play. This was a well fought, entertaining match.”
UAlbany will hold the No. 2 seed heading into the America East Championship weekend. It’s the highest seed the Great Danes have held since joining the conference in 2000.
ARMY 4, UALBANY 3
- Rocio Lopez/Kirsten Scott (UA) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (ARMY), 8-1
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (ARMY) def. Cheryl Kukkonen/Mireille Hermans(UA), 8-2
- Larraine Saavedra/Margaret Iliev (ARMY) def. Irene Santos-Bravo/Cathryn Crummey (UA), 8-6
- Paul (ARMY) def. Santos (UA), 6-2, 7-5
- Lopez (UA) def. Carolyn Pitman (ARMY), 6-4, 7-5
- D. Taylor (ARMY) def. Scott (UA), 7-5, 6-4
- E. Taylor (ARMY) def. Kukkonen (UA), 6-3, 6-4
- Crummey (UA) def. Iliev (ARMY), 6-4, 6-3
- Hermans (UA) def. Alyssa Gleason (ARMY), 6-2, 6-4