Tennis Drops Two Long Island Matches; Will Host Senior Day Tuesday
Photo: Irene Santos-Bravo (above) recorded wins at No. 1 singles and No. 3 doubles against Hofstra on Saturday, April 13.
STONY BROOK/HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – The University at Albany women’s tennis team dropped two matches in Long Island on Saturday, April 13 and Sunday, April 14. First, UAlbany (7-12, 3-2 AE) visited Hofstra University where they were defeated, 4-3. They then lost a conference match to Stony Brook, 7-0. Junior Rocio Lopez won her team-high 13th singles match of the season against the Pride. That surpasses her team-best 12 wins last year.
On Saturday, the Great Danes played a close match with Hofstra 7-7 (2-2 CAA). They nearly took the matches’ first point. The third doubles duo of graduate student Irene Santos-Bravo and freshman Cat Crummey defeated freshman Louise Lopez and senior Pagie Polizois. Senior Sarah Iannone and Lopez were defeated, 9-8 at the No. 1 spot by freshman Sarah Bowen and senior Sarah Tsay. The Pride also won at No. 2 doubles, 8-2.
In singles play, Lopez and Santos-Bravo both recorded wins at the top spots. Santos-Bravo won her third straight match at No. 1 singles. She defeated Bowen, 3-6, 6-3, 10-2. Lopez nearly shutout Tsay, winning 6-0, 6-1.
Elsewhere, freshman Mirelle Hermans defeated sophomore Bianca Derrick, 6-1, 6-0. The doubles point would end up being the deciding factor as Hofstra won at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 singles to clinch the match.
Stony Brook 9-3 (4-0 AE) clinched the No. 1 seed for the upcoming America East tournament with their win over UAlbany. They swept both the doubles and singles competition.
In doubles play, sophomore Cheryl Kukkonen and Hermans won five games at the No. 3 doubles spot. They lost to freshman Becky Shtilkind and sophomore Cassandra Dix , 8-5. In singles play, Hermans played a close match against Shtilkind, losing 6-3, 7-5. Santos-Bravo won six games over two sets against Stony Brook opponent, senior Nini Lagvilava. She lost 6-4, 6-2.
UAlbany will host their senior night on Tuesday, April 16. They play ASA College – match time is set for 1:00 p.m.
UALBANY 3, HOFSTRA 4
1. Bowen-Tsay (H) def. Lopez-Iannone (UA) 9-8 (6)*
2. Gilanchi-Derrick (H) def. Kukkonen- Hermans (UA) 8-5
3. Santos-Crummey (UA) def. Lopez-Polizois (H) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,2,1*
*=Clinched doubles point for Hofstra.
1. Irene Santos (UA) def. Sarah Bowen (H) 2-6,6-3,1-0(2)
2. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Sonia Tsay (H) 6-0,6-1
3. Melissa Gilanchi (H) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-2,6-2
4. Louise Lopez (H) def. Cat Crummey (UA) 6-2,6-1
5. Mireille Hermans (UA) def. Bianca Derrick (H) 6-1,6-0
6. Paige Polizois (H) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 6-3,6-2$
Order of finish: 2,5,4,3,5$,1
$=Clinched match for Hofstra.
UALBANY RECORDS: 7-11 (overall); 3-1 (AmericaEast)
UALBANY 0, STONY BROOK 7
1. Lagvilava-Mouchon (SB) def. Lopez-Iannone (UA) 8-1*
2. Altansarnai-Badocke (SB) def. Santos-Crummey (UA) 8-0
3. Dix-Shtilkind (SB) def. Kukkonen-Hermans (UA) 8-5
Order of finish: 2,1*,3
*=Clinched doubles point for Stony Brook
1. Nini Lagvilava (SB) def. Irene Santos (UA) 6-4,6-2
2. Polina Mouchon (SB) def. Rocio Lopez (UA) 6-4,6-2$
3. Jackie Altansarnai (SB) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-2,6-2
4. Cassie Dix (SB) def. Cat Crummey (UA) 6-1,6-3
5. Becky Shtilkind (SB) def. Mireille Hermans (UA) 6-3,7-5
6. Chloe Pike (SB) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 6-0,6-0
Order of finish: 6,3,2$,1,4,5.
$=Clinched match for Stony Brook
UALBANY RECORDS: 7-12 (overall); 3-2 (America East)