Lopez, Crummey and Hermans Record Wins as UAlbany Tennis Drops Match to Bryant
Photo: Mireille Hermans (above) won her singles match against Bryant on Friday, March 29.
SMITHFIELD, RI – The University at Albany tennis team dropped their match at Bryant University, 4-3, on Friday, March 29. Junior Rocio Lopez won two matches with freshmen Cat Crummey and Mireille Hermans also taking home singles victories. The Great Danes will play their fifth straight road match against the University of Massachusetts before heading home for two conference matches.
In doubles play, Bryant clinched the game’s first point by winning the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The doubles section was clinched with the duo of seniors, Lucy Bird and Irene Rodriguez-Lockboard, defeating Hermans and senior Sarah Iannone, 8-5
UAlbany (5-10, 1-1 AE) won the No. 1 doubles spot. The pairing of Lopez and sophomore Kirsten Scott improved to 8-2. The defeated sophomore Rosie Bird and senior Marcela Brandao, 8-6.
In singles play, the Great Danes nearly came back to upset the Bulldogs. They won at the No. 1, 3 and 5 spots. Lopez improved to a team-best 11-3 with a 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (4) victory at the No. 1 spot. Crummey and Hermans both were victorious in two sets. They won 6-3, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-1 respectively. The match was clinched for Bryant by Brandao. She defeated Scott, 6-3, 6-3.
“This was another highly competitive, intense match that nearly went our way,” said coach Gordon Graham. “Many of our players who struggled on Friday against Boston U. came back with big victories against Bryant. It was a good sign for us.”
UAlbany will travel to UMass on Wednesday, April 3. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. They come home to play conference foe’s Binghamton and UMBC on April 5 and April 7. Matches are scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m., respectively.
Bryant 4, UAlbany 3
1. Lopez/Scott (UA) def. R. Bird/Brandao (B), 8-6
2. L.Bird/Rodriquez-Lockwood (B) def. Hermans/Iannone (UA), 8-5 *
3. Ammendola/Smyers (B) def. Crummey/Kukkonen (UA), 8-5
Order of finish (3,2,1)
*Clinched doubles point
1. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Rosie Bird (B), 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
2. Marcela Brandao (B) def. Kirsten Scott (UA), 6-3, 6-3 $$
3. Cat Crummey (UA) def. Steph Smyers (B), 6-3, 6-1
4. Devlin-Ann Ammendola (B) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA), 6-3, 6-2
5. Mireille Hermans (UA) def. Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (B), 6-4, 6-1
6. Lucy Bird (B) def. Sarah Iannone (UA), 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish (6, 3, 4, 5, 2, 1)