Photo: Cat Crummey won the only match for the Great Danes against the College of Charleston on Wednesday, March 20.
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The University at Albany women’s tennis team played their second match of three in South Carolina on Wednesday, March 20. The Great Danes dropped the match against the College of Charleston, 6-1, with freshman Cat Crummey getting the win at No. 2 singles. UAlbany will conclude play down south on Saturday.
In doubles play UAlbany (5-8) dropped the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to open up competition. The game’s first point was clinched at the No. 2 position with freshman Mirielle Hermans and senior Sarah Iannone losing to Cougar freshman Brooke McAmis and sophomore Samantha Maddox, 8-2. Sophomore Kirsten Scott and Crummey’s match was not completed after the double’s point was clinched.
In singles play Crummey won the only point for the Great Danes as the No. 2. She defeated McAmis. After dropping the first set, 1-6, the freshman rebounded with 6-5 lead in the second set. The match was then retired in Crummey’s favor after McAmis had to leave with an injury.
Elsewhere in singles play, Scott won four games against the College of Charleston’s (8-7) No. 1 singles player, junior Kelly Kambourelis. The match was clinched with a win by senior Irene Viana over UAlbany co-captain Fran White, 6-0, 6-0.
"We definitely had our backs to the wall today, playing a good team without our top two players," said head coach Gordon Graham. "Cat [Crummey] did a great job turning her match around and getting our only point."
The Great Danes will head to Coastal Carolina on Saturday to play the Chanticleers. Match time is set for 2 p.m.
UALBANY 1, COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON 6
1. Viana-Schofield (CC) led Scott-Crummey 6-2, match abandoned since doubles pt. was determined
2. Maddox-McAmis (CC) def. Hermans-Iannone 8-2*
3. Kambourelis-Schofield (CC) def. Kukkonen-White 8-2
Order of finish: 3,2
*=Clinched doubles point for CC.
1. Kelly Kambourelis (CC) def. Scott 6-2,6-2
2. Crummey (UA) def. Brooke McAmis 1-6,6-5 (ret., injury)
3. Jenny Falcone (CC) def. Hermans 6-0,6-3
4. Katherine Schofield (CC) def. Iannone 6-0,6-0
5. Olivia McMillan (CC) def. Kukkonen 6-0,6-1
6. Irene Viana (CC) def. White 6-0,6-0$
Order of finish: 5,4,6,3,2,1
$=Clinched match for College of Charleston