Lopez wins 10th match as UAlbany Falls to Presbyterian, 6-1
Photo: Rocio Lopez (above) has been red hot to start 2013. She is 10-2 in dual singles play after another win on Tuesday.
Clinton, SC – The University at Albany women’s tennis team dropped their first match of three in South Carolina this week. They were defeated by Presbyterian College, 6-1, on Tuesday, March 19. Junior Rocio Lopez got her team-leading 10th singles win of the season at the No. 2 spot.
UAlbany (5-6) won the first match of the day at No. 1 doubles. The combination of Lopez and sophomore Kirsten Scott continued their dominance, defeating the duo of sophomore Greer Ransom and freshman Haley Elliot, 8-1. The Lopez/Scott combo have won their last four matches by a score of 32-3.
The Blue Hose swept the remainder of doubles play. They clinched the first point at the No. 3 spot. Freshman Kayla Stanford and sophomore Caroline deLoach defeated freshman Mireille Hermans and senior Sarah Iannone, 8-5.
In singles play, Lopez improved to 10-2 with a thrilling three set victory over junior Courtney Gardiner. She won the match 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (12-10). Irene Santos-Bravo was defeated due to injury at the No. 1 spot. The Spaniard graduate student was tied 2-2 before the match was called.
Elsewhere, Iannone and freshman Cat Crummey each took their singles matches to three sets. Crummey was defeated by deLoach in a back-and-forth contest, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-2). Presbyterian (7-8) clinched the match at the No. 3 singles spot as Scott lost to junior Patricia Alves, 6-4, 6-0.
Inclement weather moved today's match from Monday to Tuesday. The schedule change gives the Great Danes less than a 24 hour turnaround as they head to the College of Charleston tomorrow. Match time is set for 2 p.m.
Presbyterian College 6, UAlbany 1
1. Rocio Lopez/Kirsten Scott (UA) def. RANSOM, Greer/ELLIOTT, Haley (PCW) 8-1
2. ALVES, Patricia/GARDINER, Courtney (PCW) def. Irene Santos-Bravo/Cathryn Crummey (UA) 8-6
3. deLOACH, Caroline/STANFORD, Kayla (PCW) def. Mireille Hermans/Sarah Iannone (ALBANY) 8-5 *
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2)
* Clinched doubles point
1. RANSOM, Greer (PCW) def. Irene Santos-Bravo (UA) 2-2 (ret.)
2. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. GARDINER, Courtney (PCW) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (12-10)
3. ALVES, Patricia (PCW) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-4, 6-0 $$
4. deLOACH, Caroline (PCW) def. Cathryn Crummey (UA) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-2)
5. LEAHY, Lucia (PCW) def. Mireille Hermans (UA) 6-4, 6-0
6. STANFORD, Kayla (PCW) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
$$ Clinched match