Flushing, N.Y.- UAlbany tennis fell to Stony Brook, 4-1, on Friday, April 27 at the USTA National Tennis Center. The Great Danes look ahead to Hartford in the consolation bracket.
Stony Brook opened up the match by grabbing the first point of the match in doubles. The Great Danes put up a tough battle in both sets with the No. 1 partners of Rocio Lopez-Alberca and Livia Gherman having to going an extra game for the Seawolves Lagvilava and Mouchan to take the point.
The Great Danes No. 5 singles Sarah Ianonne took the first singles match, 1-4, because of Chloe Pike retiring due to injury. That would be the only match UAlbany would take falling in the No. 6, 2 and 4 matches.
1. Lagvilava-Mouchan (SB) def. Lopez-Gherman (UA) 9-7*
2. Hanson-Appineni (SB) def. Scott- Kukkonen (UA) 8-5
3. Iannone-Brooks (UA) def. Pike-Mkervalidze (SB) def.
Order of finish: 3,2,1
*Doubles pt. clincher
1. Rocio Lopez led Nini Lagvilava (SB) 6-2, 4-5; DNF
2. Polina Mouchan (SB) def. Livia Gherman (UA) 6-0,6-0
3. Katherine Hanson (SB) led Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-1,3-2; DNF
4. Prerana Appineni (SB) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-2,6-2 $
5. Sarah Iannone (UA) def. Chloe Pike (SB) 1-4, ret. inj.
6. Salome Mkervalidze (SB) def. Aubrey Brooks 6-0,6-1
Order of finish: 5,6,2,4
$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 10-14 (overall); 1-5 (AmericaEast)