UAlbany Sports Information 04-20-2012
West Hartford, Conn.- UAlbany tennis defeated Hartford, 6-1, on Thursday, April 19 to end the season on a two-match winning streak heading into the America East Conference Tournament. The Great Danes swept the doubles point and took five of the six singles' matches.
UAlbany opened up the match with all three doubles winning their respective matches to grab the doubles point, 1-0. The doubles match was highlight by the Great Danes' No. 2 pairing of Sarah Iannone/Aubrey Brooks not allowing their counterparts to win one game to defeat Zampas/Galik, 8-0.
The Great Danes would continue their success against the Hawks by clinching the match with wins in the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles to win their first America East match of the year. Sarah Iannone in the No. 4, Aubrey Brooks in the No. 5 and Francine White in the No. 6 were able to quickly defeat their opponents by winning their match in straight sets.
UAlbany will look to carry its winning ways into the America East Conference Tournament beginning on Friday, April 27 at the Billy Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
UALBANY 6 HARTFORD 1
1. Lopez-Gherman (UA) def. Liu-Harel (H) 8-2
2. Iannone-Brooks (UA) def. Zampas-Galik (H) 8-0
3. White-Scott (UA) def. Greenberg-Gileau (Y) 8-1
Order of finish: 2,3,1.
* Doubles point clincher.
1. Abby Liu (H) def. Kirsten Scott(UA) 6-2,6-4
2. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Ashley Harel (H) 6-0,6-0
3. Livia Gherman (UA) def. Katina Zampas (H) 6-2,6-4
4. Sarah Iannone (UA) def. Haley Gileau (H) 6-1,6-0
5. Aubrey Brooks (UA) def. Jessica Galik (H) 6-3,6-2
6. Francine White (UA) def. Christie Greenberg (H) 6-0,6-4 $$
Order of finish: 4,5,6,2,1,3.
$$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 10-13 (overall); 1-4 (AmericaEast)