Albany, N.Y.- UAlbany tennis was swept by Boston U., 7-0, on Sunday, April 1. The Great Danes' fall to 0-3 in the America East Conference while Boston U. improves to 2-1 in conference play.
Boston U. opened up doubles play by taking all three matches with the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles in 8-0 sets. No. 1 doubles of Livia Gherman and Cheryl Kukkonen were able to win three games but come up short 8-3 against Athanasiadis/Linero.
The Terriers would continue through the singles play winning all matches in straight sets. UAlbany's Cheryl Kukkonen would take her opponent the furthest taking two games in the first set and three games in the second set but falling short, 6-2, 6-3.
UAlbany looks ahead, in its spring 2012 schedule, to Delaware State on Friday, April 6.
Boston U. 2 UAlbany 0
1. Athanasiadis-Linero (BU) def. Scott-Kukkonen(UA) 8-3
2. Laszloppy-Santini (BU) def. Iannone-Brooks (UA) 8-0*
3. Mical-Lieb (BU) def. White-Gherman (UA) 8-0
Order of finish: 2,3,1.
* Doubles point clincher.
1. Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Gherman (UA) 6-0,6-1
2. Monika Mical (BU) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-2,6-3
3. Jessi Linero (BU) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-2,6-1$
4. Sami Lieb (BU) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 6-0,6-0
5. Petra Santini (BU) def. Aubrey Brooks (UA) 6-3,6-0
6. Amelia Martinez (BU) def. Francine White (UA) 6-2,6-1
Order of finish: 1,4,3,2,5,6.
$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 8-9 (overall); 0-3 (America East)