Albany, N.Y.- UAlbany tennis got back on the winning side with a win over Bryant, 5-2, on Saturday, March 31. The Great Danes' Rocio Lopez Alberca continues her streak of winning as she recorded her sixth-consecutive victory at the No. 1 singles versus Bryant's Claudia Hidalgo, in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
UAlbany grabbed the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The duos of Lopez Alberca/Livia Gherman and Kirsten Scott/Cheryl Kukkonen won their respective doubles match at 8-3.
Lopez Alberca opened the singles play with a straight-set victory at No. 1, Kirsten Scott took down her oppenent, Marcela Brandao, in three sets at No. 3 then Aubrey Brooks clinched the match at the No. 5 singles in straight sets.
UAlbany travels to Boston, Mass. to face Boston University on Sunday, April 1 for its third conference match of the season and the beginning of a three-match road trip.
UAlbany 5 Bryant 2
1. Lopez-Gherman (UA) def. Smyers-L. Bird (B) 8-3*
2. Scott-Kukkonen (UA) def. Hidalgo-Brandao (B) 8-6
3. Ammendola-R. Bird (B) def. Iannone-Brooks (UA) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3.
* Doubles point clincher.
1. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Claudia Hidalgo (B) 6-3, 6-4
2. Devlin Ammendola (B) def. Livia Gherma(UA) 3-6,7-6 (5),6-4
3. Kirsten Scott (UA) def. Marcela Brandao (B) 6-4,1-6, 6-2
4. Sarah Iannone (UA) def. May Vickers (B) 6-4, 5-6 (1), 1-0 (12)
5. Aubrey Brooks (UA) def. Della Taylor (B) 6-3,6-4 $
6. Rosie Bird (B) def. Francine White (UA) 8-0
Order of finish: 1,3,2,5,6,4
UALBANY RECORDS: 8-8 (overall); 0-2 (AmericaEast)