UAlbany Sports Information 02-14-2012
Albany, N.Y.- UAlbany (16-12, 8-6 AE) looks to gain some momentum before heading into the conference tournament against Vermont (17-10, 11-2 AE) in SEFCU Arena. The Great Danes fell short to the Catamounts earlier this season, 73-69, at Patrick Gymnasium. Wednesday's game is televised on Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 3 in the Albany area. Rodger Wyland will handle the play-by-play and will be assisted by John Quattrocci with the color analysis.The game can also be heard on Fox Sports 980 WOFX-AM in Albany. Zach Bye will handle the play-by-play.
• UAlbany is currently in fourth place in the America East Conference standings at 8-6 and can't move any higher. With a win over Vermont, UAlbany will soldify themselves as the four seed in the conference tournament. Vermont sits in first place after a crucial win against Stony Brook last Sunday. If Vermont wins out then the Catamounts will be the number one seed in the tournament.
• Vermont is playing its best basketball right now, having won eight consecutive games including crucial wins against Stony Brook at home, 68-49, and Boston U. on the road, 68-67, which gave them the season series and the tiebreaker over the Terriers if both teams were to end up tied in the conference standings
• The Catamounts offense, on the season, is averaging 67.9 points per game while keeping its opponent to 62.1 points per game which is a +5.8 scoring margin. Vermont, during its current eight-game winning streak, has averaged a season-best 76.2 points per game on offense while holding its opponents to a season-best 61.3. A big part of that has been freshman guard Four McGlynn. During the Vermont run, McGlynn has won America East Rookie of the week three times and averaged 14.5 points a game (season avg: 12.3).
• Vermont leads UAlbany in the all-time series 22-8. The Catamounts took the first game of the home-and-away series at Patrick Gym, 73-69. Senior forward Matt Glass, UMass transfer, had a team-best 16 points and grabbed five boards in Vermont's win.
• Vermont has taken the last five games against UAlbany and have enjoyed playing in SEFCU winning the previous four of five games in the arena. The Great Danes have had the last laugh, owning the Catamounts in the conference tournament by boasting a 3-0 record over Vermont.
Vermont Players To Watch
• Vermont has three players averaging in double-digit points this season .
• Four McGlynn is the Catamounts leading scorer this season with 12.3 points per game, shooting 41.0 percent from the field.
• McGlynn, coming off the bench, is Vermont's most accurate shooter from behind the arc, shooting 41.7 percent (48-115)
• Brian Voekel, UVM's 6-foot-6 sophomore forward, is a threat on the boards and dishing the ball, averaging 8.0 rebounds a game and 5.1 assists a game.
Last Time out
• The Great Danes ended their three-game losing streak on the road against Maine, 76-68, on Saturday
• Gerardo Suero scored his fifth consecutive 20-plus point game with 28.
• Luke Devlin had a strong performance of 13 points and five rebounds, shooting 2-of-4 from behind the arc.