Men's Soccer Looks Ahead To UMBC For Wednesday Tilt
ALBANY, N.Y. - Head coach Trevor Gorman and Co. look to get back on the right track when they face the UMBC Retrievers on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at the Plumeri Sports Complex (7 p.m.).
The Great Danes, having lost eight-straight matches, will try to find their first conference win with four America East opponents remaining on the 2012 regular-season schedule. Goalkeeper Tim Allen has played well for UAlbany in his first season between the pipes. In 11 games playe for the Great Danes, Allen has recorded a 1.73 goals against average and tallied 65 saves on the season with one shutout.
• UMBC is fifth in the America East Conference standings with a 5-3-4 overall record. The Retrievers have posted a .500 winning percentage on the road, posting a 2-2-1 mark. They recently tied New Hampshire, 1-1, on Sunday, Oct. 7.
• The Retrievers have strung together a two-match unbeaten streak with a win over Howard, 3-1, and tie against UNH, 1-1 .
• Junior goalkeeper Phil Saunders has been one of the top America East goalies. He currently leads the conference with four shutouts. The junior goalkeeper boasts a 0.93 goals against average, which puts him second best in the conference behind Stony Brook's Stefan Manz's 0.63 GAA.
Against The Retrievers
• This is the 10th meeting between the two teams with UMBC leading 5-3-1. The last time the Great Danes faced off against the Retrievers was last October. The Great Danes came out with the 2-1 win.
• On a cold October night, UAlbany looked to find its first conference win of the season against Binghamton. However, a corner kick set piece in the 44th minute from Adam Whitehead to Austin Hughes would ruin the Great Danes chances. UAlbany goalkeeper Tim Allen would hold the Bearcats to just one goal, tallying three saves on the match.
With Brandon Wilson's game-winning goal against Yale and Towson in consecutive matches, he and Quintel Gates have combined for six career game-winning goals in the last two seasons since joining the team in 2011 (Wilson has two on this season).
First Conference Accolade
Freshman midfielder Anthony Rozzano grabbed the first accolade of the season for the Great Danes and the first of his career. His peformance of two goals and one assist from Aug. 27 thru Sept.3 garnered him America East Conference Rookie of the Week.
• Dominic McGarr and Jeff Pierre were honored as the 2012 UAlbany men's soccer captains this season. Both McGarr and Pierre played in all of the team's 19 games last season. McGarr will man the well-experienced back line this season and Pierre will look to lead the midfielders after the departure of senior captains Anthony DeSalvo and David Pinto.
Great Danes are 2012 Underdogs
• UAlbany was chosen to finish tied-for sixth in the America East with the Binghamton Bearcats.
• Second year head coach Trevor Gorman and the Great Danes are in familiar territory having been chosen to finish eighth last season. But being picked eighth last season didn't stop the Danes from an America East Semifinal appearance.