Football sets 3 single-season records in loss to Maine
Score: Maine 47, UAlbany 31
Location: Tom & Mary Casey Stadium in Albany, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany 5-4 (3-2 CAA) | Maine 4-5 (2-3 CAA)
Short story: Jeff Undercuffler, Juwan Green and Eli Mencer all set single-season program records, but the University at Albany football team fell to Maine, 47-31, on Saturday, Nov. 2, at Casey Stadium in a CAA game.
- On the first play of the game, Eli Mencer recorded a sack, giving him 9.5 for the season. His total surpasses the previous record of 9.0 set by Eddie Delaney in 2011.
- Juwan Green’s first-quarter touchdown catch was his 11thof the season, also establishing a new single-season record.
- Jeff Undercuffler’s second-quarter touchdown pass to Joseph Greaney was his 26thof the season, breaking Dan DiLella’s program single-season record of 25, set in 2011.
- Undercuffler threw for 387 yards, the third-highest single-game total in program history. It marked his third game this season having thrown for 380 or more yards.
- Green (109) and Jerah Reeves (111) both eclipsed 100 yards receiving.
- Thomas Greaney caught his first two career touchdown passes.
- Josh Wynn led the Great Danes’ defense with 10 tackles. Mazon Walker had a sack and 2.5 tackles for loss.
Coach Gattuso: “It’s a disappointing loss obviously, but we’re going to get back on the horse and try to go beat Delaware next week.”
Maine scored 23 points in the third quarter to propel a 47-31 victory over the University at Albany football team Saturday in a CAA game at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.
The loss snapped the Great Danes’ five-game win streak at home.
Coming off a bye week, UAlbany rallied to tie the game at 24 early in the third quarter on Dylan Burns’ 27-yard field goal.
But the Black Bears, who appeared in last year’s FCS National Semifinals, responded with a safety and three touchdowns — one of which came on an interception returned for a TD — to extend their lead to 47-24 going into the fourth quarter.
Jeff Undercuffler, who completed 25-of-49 passes for 387 yards, threw four touchdown passes, two of which went to tight end Thomas Greaney. His second-quarter touchdown, a 12-yard grab, was his first career catch. He later added a 5-yard TD catch in the fourth.
Juwan Green also caught a 64-yard touchdown pass to cut Maine’s lead to 10-7 in the first quarter, and Tyler Oedekoven caught his first touchdown, from 16 yards out, to pull UAlbany within 24-21 with 26 seconds remaining in the first half.
Up next:UAlbany is on the road next Saturday, Nov. 9, to face Delaware in a CAA game. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.