Baseball Falls vs. Army West Point 11-4
Score: Army West Point 11, UAlbany 4
Location: Varsity Field in Albany, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany 18-21, (8-10 AE); Army West Point (31-21, 18-7 Patriot League)
Short Story: UAlbany falls in a midweek game against Army West Point 11-4.
Coach Mueller: “I think we gave them too many free passes today. The biggest thing when you play a good team like that, whether at home or on the road, you have to limit the damage from those free passes. I thought we swung the bats pretty well. It was good to see some guys start to come to life. We struggled on the mound, but some of those guys haven’t been out there in a while. When you’re having games cancelled and you’re not playing every day and you might go 16 or 17 days between appearances I think expectations have to be reasonable. We’ll look forward to Niagara tomorrow.
- J.T. Genovese lasted 1.1 innings, allowing two runs on four hits with one strikeout
- Nick Bird lasted 3.2 innings, allowing three runs on four hits with two strikeouts
- Connor Takacs lasted 1.0 innings, allowing four runs on five hits
- Angelo Spedafino lasted 2.0 shutout innings, recording two strikeouts
- Travis Collins hit 2-4 with a home run and a walk
- Connor Powers hit 2-4 with a home run and three RBIs
- Chris Turco hit 2-4 with a double
How it happened
- Army West Point loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the first, but J.T. Genovese recorded a strikeout to get out of danger unscathed
- UAlbany put runners on first and second with one out in the bottom of the first but came away with no runs after Army West Point turned a double play
- After putting runners on second and third with no outs to start the second, Army West Point came away with two runs to take a 2-0 lead
- With runners on first and second with one out in the bottom of the third, Connor Powers hit an RBI single through the right side to drive in UAlbany’s first run of the afternoon
- Army West Point added one run in the top of the fourth
- Army West Point took a 5-1 lead with two runs in the top of the fifth
- Travis Collins hit a one-out solo home run to right in the bottom of the fifth. Two batters later, with one on and one out, Powers hit a home run to right to cut the UAlbany deficit to 5-4
- Amy West Point responded immediately, scoring four runs in the top of the sixth
- Army West Point loaded the bases with one out in the top of the ninth, coming away with two runs to bring the final score to 11-4
Next: UAlbany will have their seven-game homestand interrupted with a trip to Niagara for a game Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.