#5 UAlbany Men's Lacrosse Earns Share of AE Regular Season Title
Men's Lacrosse Score: #5 UAlbany 16, Hartford 6
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium
Records: UAlbany (12-2, 5-1 AE), Hartford (3-10, 0-6 AE)
Short Story: The #5 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team earned hosting rights to the America East Tournament with a 16-6 win over Hartford, clinching a share of the league regular season title.
- UAlbany: Jakob Patterson led UAlbany with four goals, three on man-up situations. Tehoka Nanticoke notched three goals and two assists while Connor Fields had a goal and four assists. JD Colarusso got the victory in goal with 11 saves and six goals allowed with TD Ierlan winning 15-for-20 on faceoffs, grabbing nine ground balls.
- Hartford: Justin Huggins led the Hawks with two goals with Griffin Feiner having a goal and two assists. Ryan Vanderford had the loss in goal, saving 11 shots and allowing 16.
- With the victory, UAlbany has secured a share of the America East regular season title and earns hosting rights to the America East Tournament. Tickets will go on sale to the general public tomorrow at 9 p.m. Semifinal tickets are valid for both games, and save money with an all-session pass and enjoy the same seats for the entire tournament. For more information, visit ualbanysports.com/tickets.
- It is the sixth consecutive season that UAlbany has earned at least a share of the America East regular season title.
- UAlbany draws 4-seed UMass Lowell on Thursday, May 3rd at 7 p.m. for the America East semifinals.
- 1st quarter: UAlbany scored the first three goals, from three different players, to lead 3-1 after one.
- 2nd quarter: Jakob Patterson scores twice on the goal circle in man-up situations. UAlbany outscores Hartford 4-2 and leads 7-3 at halftime.
- 3rd quarter: Completing the quarter on a 6-0 run in a span of 4:31, including two more Patterson goals and two from Tehoka Nanticoke, UAlbany went ahead 14-4 after three.
- 4th quarter: Goals by Davis Diamond and Kyle Casey helped seal the victory for UAlbany as the Great Danes won 16-6.
Quote: “We wanted to walk away feeling confident. We played really good defense against a good offense. To hold them to six goals is great by our defense. Their goalie played outstanding in the first half. I’m pleased with effort, and I love that we will play at home for the [America East] tournament.”- UAlbany head coach Scott Marr
Recap: The #5 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team took care of Hartford 16-6, securing a share of the America East regular season title and hosting rights to the league tournament.
UAlbany started with a long offensive possession with three shots, scoring on the last attempt man-up on a hard catch and shoot shot from Justin Reh. UAlbany held on a defensive possession, then Alex Burgmaster took a pass from Ron John and scored straight away. Tehoka Nanticoke added a highlight reel goal with a between the legs, back-to-the-net score, completing a 3-0 run. Hartford scored a goal to break the run, but UAlbany’s defense held off Hartford the rest of the quarter. UAlbany led 3-1 after one.
Using a man-up penalty to begin the second quarter, Jakob Patterson scored on the doorstep, then TD Ierlan added another seconds later after a faceoff violation. Hartford got a goal back, then UAlbany responded quickly as Zach Wolfe scored fast off a faceoff win on a run to the cage. One more exchange of goals, including Patterson scoring again on a man-up situation, gave UAlbany a 7-3 advantage at the half.
After a long defensive stand, stopping three Hartford shots, UAlbany cleared the other way and saw Davis Diamond score the catch and shoot. After a Hartford goal, UAlbany went on a tear, scoring six consecutive goals in a span of 4:31: a high to low rip from Connor Fields, a catch and shoot from Kyle McClancy to Nanticoke, another goal from Nanticoke off a ground ball by Sean Eccles, Nanticoke getting the ball to John on the restart for a score, then Patterson scoring again man-up from Fields and Patterson netting the rock on a shot from the hip off the backhand. UAlbany led 14-4 after three quarters.
UAlbany finished out the game with a strong lead the rest of the way, adding two more goals from Diamond and Kyle Casey. UAlbany won 16-6.
UAlbany now gets ready to host the America East Tournament, playing its semifinal game on Thursday, May 3rd at 7 p.m. against UMass Lowell at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium. For ticket information for UAlbany men’s lacrosse games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.