Baseball Takes Series Finale at Binghamton
Score: UAlbany 6, Binghamton 4
Location: Bearcats SportsComplex in Vestal, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (17-16, 7-8 AE); Binghamton (10-22-1, 6-9 AE)
Short Story: UAlbany baseball rallies to take the series victory at Binghamton.
Coach Mueller: "We didn't make an error all weekend. Binghamton is known for their great defense. This is no different than next weekend or the weekend after that. It's always a tough matchup. Really had trouble swinging the bats in the second game yesterday, and that carried over to the first part of the game today. But Brendan settled down, Dan Yankowski gave us an inning, and Dom felt good enough to go again today. He only threw 70 pitches yesterday and was dynamite again today. I thought the key today was holding them to one run over the last eight innings."
- Brendan Smith lasted 5.0 innings, allowing four runs on six hits with two strikeouts
- Dominic Savino earned his sixth win of the season, pitching the final 3.0 innings and allowing just one hit
- Patrick Lagravinese hit 2-4 with three RBIs
- Matt Codispoti hit 3-4 with a triple and one run scored
- Brad Malm hit 2-2 with a double, one RBI and two runs scored
How it happened
- Binghamton struck first with three runs in the bottom of the first
- UAlbany took the lead, scoring four runs in the top of the sixth. Connor Powers led off with a double to left center and advanced to third when Matt Codispoti hit a single through the left side. Travis Collins, with one out, reached safely on a fielder’s choice that allowed Powers to score. Collins scored in the next at bat when Brad Malm hit an RBI double to center. After the Binghamton pitching change, Nick Kondo and Kenny Hayden worked consecutive walks to load the bases, forcing another Binghamton pitching change. Patrick Lagravinese came up to bat and hit a two-RBI single to center, giving the Great Danes the lead.
- Binghamton tied the game with one run in the bottom of the sixth
- UAlbany scored one run in the top of the eighth. With a runner on second and one out, Lagravinese hit an RBI single through the right side.
- UAlbany added one final run in the top of the ninth to bring the final score to 6-4. With one out, Codispoti hit a triple to right center, and scored when Ryan Hernandez hit a sacrifice fly to left field.
Next: UAlbany will host three mid-week games, Tuesday against Central Connecticut State, and a doubleheader Wednesday against Iona, before enjoying a weekend off.