#2 UAlbany Men's Lacrosse Downed at #5 Yale 14-6
Men's Lacrosse Score: #5 Yale 14, #2 UAlbany 6
Location: New Haven, Conn.. – Reese Stadium
Records: UAlbany (11-2), Yale (11-2)
Short Story: The #2 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team suffered a defeat in its second game in three days, falling at #5 Yale 14-6 on Sunday afternoon.
- UAlbany: Sean Eccles had a hat trick, scoring in each of the last three quarters, while Davis Diamond had a goal and an assist. JD Colarusso had 19 saves, one shy of his career-high, in the defeat.
- Yale: Ben Reeves finished with three goals and an assist while Lucas Cotler notched three goals. Jack Starr got the win in goal, saving 10 shots.
- 1st quarter: Yale scored three goals in the opening five minutes. Jakob Patterson put UAlbany on the board, but a Yale goal with seven seconds left in the period made it 4-1.
- 2nd quarter: A near-even quarter as Davis Diamond and Sean Eccles score goals, but Yale nets three to lead 7-3 at the half.
- 3rd quarter: UAlbany scored the first goals of the second half with hard shots from Josh Egan and Eccles. Yale scored the final four of the period to lead 11-5.
- 4th quarter: Yale outscored UAlbany 3-1 in the final period to secure the 14-6 victory.
Quote: “We just did not handle the ride well; overall, they just outplayed us, they were really prepared and played well.”- UAlbany head coach Scott Marr
Recap: The #2 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team suffered a 14-6 defeat at #5 Yale on Sunday afternoon to complete its second game in three days.
Yale scored on its opening possession after John Daniggelis got around the goal circle for a close range shot and score. JD Colarusso held on the next possession with three saves, but a failed clear attempt led to another Yale goal by Lucas Cotler, then Ben Reeves scored another on the next chance. UAlbany ended the run with a Jakob Patterson goal on the doorstep and nearly held the rest of the way, but a Yale goal with seven seconds left in the quarter made it 4-1 home team after one.
After holding on a long possession, UAlbany cleared and scored quickly as Davis Diamond ran to the goal circle and scored close range. Yale netted the next two goals in the following minutes to lead by four. UAlbany got a goal back on man-up as Sean Eccles lasered a shot from 15 yards out to the cage. Colarusso continued to hold on most chances, but another goal for Yale made it 7-3 Bulldogs at the half.
UAlbany came out of the locker room aggressively, with Josh Egan sniping a goal in the top left, then Eccles scoring man-up again to bring UAlbany within two. Yale held the rest of the quarter and added four more goals, including a Ben Reeves goal in the final 10 seconds, to send the Bulldogs up 11-5 after 45 minutes.
UAlbany tried to comeback against Yale’s pressure defense, but was unable to bridge the gap. Yale put two more goals in the first 4:34 of the quarter, then Eccles stopped the run with his third goal. UAlbany could not get closer in the game as Yale added a late goal to give the Bulldogs a 14-6 victory.
UAlbany will wrap up conference play on Saturday, April 28th, returning to Connecticut to play Hartford at 1 p.m.