Baseball Defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 11-2
Score: UAlbany 11, Fairleigh Dickinson 2
Location: Naimoli Family Baseball Complex in Teaneck, N.J.
Records: UAlbany (15-15, 5-7 AE); Fairleigh Dickinson (8-21, 0-10 NEC)
Short Story: UAlbany baseball won its fifth straight game Tuesday, defeating Fairleigh Dickinson 11-2 on the road ahead of a series at preseason conference favorite Binghamton.
Coach Mueller: “Today was an important game. All the mid-week games count. We were able to get everybody out there and get some at-bats for different guys. We did a really good job on the mound today and I thought we swung the bats well. We have a big series against Binghamton coming up so we’re looking forward to that.”
- J.T. Genovese lasted 3.0 innings, allowing two hits with no runs and three strikeouts
- The UAlbany bullpen, Angelo Spedafino, Connor Takacs, Patrick Lagravinese, and Dan Yankowski, combined for 6.0 innings, allowing two runs on seven hits with eight strikeouts
- Marc Wangenstein hit 3-6 with two RBIs
- Matt Codispoti hit 2-5 with two RBIs
- Ryan Hernandez hit 3-3 with one RBI and three runs scored
- Brad Malm hit 3-5 with an RBI
- Nick Kondo hit 2-3 with an RBI
- Kenny Hayden drove in two runs
- UAlbany recorded 20 hits
How it happened
- UAlbany scored first, putting one run on the board in the first inning. Ryan Hernandez hit a one-out single to shortstop and advanced to second in the ensuing at-bat when Brad Malm hit a single to right. Nick Kondo loaded the bases with a single to right field. Hernandez scored when Kenny Hayden reached safely on a fielder’s choice to third.
- UAlbany added three runs in the top of the third. Connor Powers hit a one-out, solo home run to center field. Next, Matt Codispoti hit a single to short, and advanced to third when Patrick Lagravinese doubled down the left field line. Hernandez loaded the bases after drawing a walk. Malm came up to the plate and hit an RBI single to left, scoring Codispoti. Lagravinese scored when Kondo hit a sacrifice fly to right.
- UAlbany scored twice in the top of the fourth to take a 6-0 lead. Travis Collins led off the inning with a single to second, and advanced to second when Marc Wangenstein hit a single to left. Both runners advanced in the next at-bat when Powers grounded out to first, and then scored when Codispoti hit a bases-clearing single to left.
- UAlbany scored five runs in the top of the sixth. With one out and no one on, Lagravinese hit a bunt single. Hernandez next ripped a double down the left field line, driving in Lagravinese. Malm reached safely on throwing error by Fairleigh Dickinson’s shortstop while Hernandez advanced to third. Two batters later, with two outs, Hayden singled to left, driving in Hernandez. With runners on second and third, Collins drew a walk to load the bases. Marc Wangenstein came to the plate and hit a two-RBI single to right, scoring Malm and Hayden. Next, Powers hit a double to right, driving in Collins, bringing UAlbany’s lead to 11-0.
- Fairleigh Dickinson finally got on the board with one run in the bottom of the seventh
- Fairleigh Dickinson added one more run in the bottom of the ninth, bringing the final score to 11-2 in favor of UAlbany
Next: The Great Danes will visit Binghamton for three games starting on Saturday. UAlbany and Binghamton are currently tied for sixth in the America East standings, fighting for the final spot in May’s America East tournament.